Etiquette on carrying a knife during dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know the thread has moved on a bit, but back to the sharks - I find it really interesting the hysteria with people being paranoid about sharks.

In general sharks don't worry me but the thing I do get a bit scared of is big trigger fish (titan or big clown triggerfish) - they can be seriously aggressive! And they don't give up if you are inside the 'cone' they protect around their nest. I tend to keep well away particularly if I see any hint of their trigger going up! They can be really psycho!

The vid on this link is pretty typical of what I've experienced a few times! And no I don't think a knife would be the answer either. Swimming down and away is your best bet!

When Titan Triggerfish Attack

I'm surprised no one has suggested a sure way of neutralizing the threat of an aggressive shark:

Flipping it over onto its back. That's what orcas do.

What's that? Impossible for a diver to do? So is using a knife against even a small shark.

Watch the episode - I think it's called "Superman" where Nelson is in a fistfight while wearing a set of doubled up 38's. . . .

Why wouldn't both participants call "time out" and agree to remove their tanks before the fight?
Hey where did the OP go? Did we get too far off topic again?
Still here good sir. Simply enjoying all the back on forth that had nothing to do with my post. As you were.

I could only make it through 3 minutes of that.
I lasted 2 minutes. I hope that talk was to schoolchildren

She thinks very highly of herself and comes across as a condescending cheerleader type - I lasted until the picture of Bella . . .
People pay her to speak - just think of that for a moment

She thinks very highly of herself and comes across as a condescending cheerleader type - I lasted until the picture of Bella . . .
People pay her to speak - just think of that for a moment

I cut out at the same time. She'd be far more effective if her presentation wasn't so childish.

Sheesh, she just has a Conneticut yankee accent, and she is presenting to children, if the post-it notes decorating the wall behind her is any indication.

Last edited:
Sheesh, she just has a coneticut yankee accent, and she is presenting to children, if the post-it notes decorating the wall behind her is any indication.

It isn't the accent, but the choice of her words. Skip to 16:28 where they show the audience. Not children.

It isn't the accent, but the choice of her words. Skip to 16:28 where they show the audience. Not children.
Students though. Anyway, She's not that bad I think, but perhaps there is a better more informative video out there for comparison sake?

Back
Top Bottom