EV Turks, boarding assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

90% of people loose the pouches or can not unzip them in the water then complain bitterly about the sress of removing weights all the time it happen alot on liveaboards i go on also most are so over weighed its untrue

Can't speak to others experience (or 90% of people) only my own. We've not had that problem (with Zeagle pouches) nor has anyone else we've dived with when compared to other integrated systems. By their nature all integrated systems can be dropped or lost. I've also seen weight belts dropped while doffing in the water. It's a hazard of the process, but one that many live with if it means diving or not diving. As to overweighting, most of the divers I dive with are not grossly over-weighted, but then most of the divers I encounter are relatively experienced or at least relatively well trained. That's a result of superior dive trip planning on my part ( @BDSC & the usual suspects ) . YMMV. :)

thats correct experienced divers are Usually correctly weighted but that is not what happens
it was a simple remark about be aware of your equipment thats all !!! i have seen more crew correctly lifting gear and the boat moves and down goes crew damaging there backs or shoulders as normal gear plus 10lbs or 12lbs makes a difference and sorry from a guest doest help the crew member
thats all
im not critasising everybodies practices

Haven't been on that particular liveaboard, but I've never been on a nice tropical destination liveaboard - or for that matter day boat - that wouldn't help people that needed help. I see it all the time and would be pretty surprised if it was an issue on the EV.

So if you need this assistance good to check with the boat, sure. Yes it may be different in the US or someplace else. It may be more challenging to accommodate in certain dive conditions. Sitting out an unusually snarky entry/exit might be in order. But I would put your wife's mind at ease that if they say ok she will not be a "problem" - good chance she won't even be the only one. Honestly, unless you're talking about more budget liveaboards, the clientele that is more able to afford these trips is on average older and accumulated some injuries, surgeries, whatever and one gets the impression they expect some of this.

Yes, they may request you hand up weights from a WI BC separately. With some BCs this will be more of a nuisance than others, a weight belt might be easier sometimes. Or not. If she were BC shopping it might be something to consider. (OTOH if someone doesn't use much weight they may not notice or care so much.)

Note that plenty of liveaboards dive from dingys where they want/expect everyone to hand up gear. Crew doing this all the time will often wear back support and it's part of their gig.

I unzipped my weights and threw them up on the T/C Explorer's dive deck regularly. I did not but saw them regularly help a woman diver on our trip out of the water by hauling up her gear - they did not ask her to remove her weights first afaik.

On our boat, the crew bent over backwards to be helpful. The very last dive (it was rough) I lost a fin and wrote it off. A crew member freedove for it (my fins sink) about 5mins later and got it back to me. I pretty much always remember them reaching down to help me re-board by pulling on my gear (I have a convenient strap at the top) since I have a bad knee although I did usually walk up the ladder with my gear.

I also don't know what you're talking about with the Zealge system either - the weight pouches have handles on them and remove from the top. In water it's not a problem, standing on deck with a tank on, does stress the zippers somewhat.

It's a much better system than any of the front mount clip on systems when it comes to handling the weights separately. I have personally found 3 Mares red handled weight pouches near moorings at dive sites over the years.

im not critasising everybodies practices
Actually you are. You're applying your experience and assuming everybody does things the same. My experiences have been more in line with damselfish's.

Thanks for everyone's answers and help. We just booked the second week in May and look forward to the trip.
The stairs on the boat are no problem at all for my wife, but she prefers to reboard without her gear on. She has
had a hip replacement and would like to put less stress on the hip, She has done many trips with no issues.

Thanks again,
Russ

Have a wonderful time on which ever liveaboard yacht you chose!!!

Back
Top Bottom