Ever been caught without FQAS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If we look at the history of this law,
The original coroner report in 1991 offered 16 recomendations which were issued to the QC diving schools and the government , in summary here they are (diving school ones are higlighted):
- OW course is 40 hours minimum, with specific instruction, drysuit instruction,
-minimum of 10 dives before moving on to another course
-that your PADI,CMAS, ect. card has a 3 year expiry date requiring you to prove that you have accomplished 10 dives in those years.
-dive log be mandatory as well as a photo ID

-hyperbaric doctors be trained
- dive sites are equipped with appropriate signage (I dont know what this means)
- A diving club should be created (have divers talk to each other, dive together, ect. (safety in numbers kind of thing))
- Air quality be regulated
-that instructor training be revised and monitored (due to 9 deaths during a certification) (THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT)
- and 3 more doctor recommendation stuff that is unimportant.

everything pertaining to dive schools were only recommendations, no law was applied here.

In 1995 a second coroner report came out which studied another 12 deaths. In this report the coroner notes that almost everything in black above has been accomplished or was in the process of being accomplished. However alot of the stuff requiring work in the dive schools were not even tried. so the coroner made recommendations directly to the government this time:
-To regulate dive schools, instructors, and acquisition of dive certification.
-To have a second certification for instructors as to make sure that they are well certified for the job.
-+ further recommendations towards courses( minimal age be 16, maximum amount of student per instructor, ect) (most of these didnt pass.)

And so a law was accepted in government in 1997, and in 2002 the certification that we are talking about in the past posts started.

Last edited:
As for economically,

The FQAS is a NPO with a administration commitee of 10 people (unpaid, some being very well known divers in QC) with 5 full time employes. They don't make any profit, they don't give money out to the government.

You can't call this 15$ a cash grab, you can say its wasted if you want, but no one is making much of a profit from it. (BTW, THIS SENTENCE IS THE ONLY OPINION I HAVE MENTIONNED IN ALL 3 OF MY LAST REPLIES, ALL THE REST ARE FACTS)

If it was only $15 every three years I wouldn't mind so much. I live in Ottawa had have been diving in the St. Lawrence. I thought I would check out Morrison's quarry. That's where I ran into FQAS. I went to their web page and couldn't understand a thing. A google translate of the French page would be easier to understand than their "English". The only dive center that really mentions the FQAS states that I will have to take a course which costs $149.99. I completed my Rescue course last year in the St. Lawrence, but that's not good enough for Quebec. I am therefore looking at about $700, tax in, to take the family out for a dive.

Last edited:
Wow, I forgot I had ever posted this... woops!

I see a few people have mentioned that the card is $15. I know it's not a huge difference but I have not heard of anyone getting the card for less than $25 or $30 and that assumes you are adding it as part of a class. I'm not sure how it works if you want the card without a class. @ljpm have you tried calling the shops directly? I can't imagine any of the shops (at least in Ottawa) forcing an entire course on a certified diver just for an FQAS card.

There are no scuba police but Quebec has actual police that can enforce this. That's why I was asking the original question. Since this post I've asked a few instructors what happens if you're "caught" but the answers I've gotten range from "don't know" to "you get a fine" to "they can sieze your gear". It has left me with more questions than answers really. That said, I have yet to be asked to show my card to anyone. Even at Morrison's Quarry there is a spot to write down your card # when you sign in, but most people seem to leave that blank.

This is from their web page. Seems pretty clear that they only issue the card after completion of the course.

"For certified divers that did not do FQAS in conjunction with Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water Diver, or Rescue Diver, the cost for an FQAS course to obtain a certification is $149.99 plus tax."

I guess I won't be diving in Quebec.

Sorry to dredge up an old post. I was looking for info on FQAS on google and saw a scuba board link. Always good information.

I was planning a trip to gaspe next summer
Do you think I will run into a problem there?

Bill

maybe the reason only half as many people died is because half as many people opted out of diving in pq

I am not from Quebec, nor Canada and am significantly French language challenged. I hope you can pardon the ignorance implicit in this observation, pour je ne peux pas resiste (something like that):

I wonder why FQAS looks to the casual observer a bit like a four letter F-word...

Back
Top Bottom