Ever get stung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

an Irukandji is a box jellyfish...

oh, and I used to get stung by MoW all the time a a kid...

I just love the word.... "Irukandji"

Irukandji

_Bella_:
Sounds like they were describing a fireworm.

fireworm.jpg

Got stung by one of those in Honduras also.

Just following up......saw a physician yesterday due to the following symptoms:

SEVERE joint pain....arms, shoulders, legs....
SEVERE lethargy (feeling of tiredness)

He prescribed me with 2 meds, one is what they give people to neutralize the effects of a Tylenol overdose. The 2nd is what they give for ingestion of blowfish toxin (sushi). Both are oral meds that I have to take twice a day for a week. The toxin is flushed out through your kidneys, so he also gave me a Vitamin B complex to aid in kidney function. These meds with LOTS of fluids will hopefully fix things in a few days.

The joint pain is gone, but I am still very tired. Slept 16 hours yesterday.

I have tried to post a pic of the wound, but that feature isn't working for me right now.

Mike Rushton

ScubaMike14:
I do not wear a wetsuit or skin of any kind. Water temp is around 88 and much too hot for me. As for "protection" I usually only wear something on wreck dives.

Mike Rushton

maybe you should re-think this. even if the water temp is 95 I won't dive without at least a skin for sting protection.

ScubaMike14:

Umm.. joint pain and lethargy? Sea Lyme Disease?

ScubaMike14:

He prescribed me with 2 meds, one is what they give people to neutralize the effects of a Tylenol overdose. The 2nd is what they give for ingestion of blowfish toxin (sushi). Both are oral meds that I have to take twice a day for a week. The toxin is flushed out through your kidneys, so he also gave me a Vitamin B complex to aid in kidney function. These meds with LOTS of fluids will hopefully fix things in a few days.

The joint pain is gone, but I am still very tired. Slept 16 hours yesterday.

I have tried to post a pic of the wound, but that feature isn't working for me right now.

Mike Rushton

:shakehead

Sorry to hear about that... hope you have a speedy recovery!

Keep us posted:D

On a more serious note, I've managed to get myself stung by fire coral twice in the past year in St. Croix with rather different outcomes:

July '05: Had my leg just brush against some fire coral (I think) while on a shore dive in shallow water. Burning lasted 45 mins or so, not that bad. But the wound got funky looking after a day and lasted 6 weeks. I still have a slight discoloration on the spot.

Last week: Thought I was in the clear while holding onto a mooring line for my 15' safety stop and while my hand was just dandy, my elbow brushed the mooring line and I guess there was some fire coral there cuz I was wondering why it hurt.. Dive shop poured vinegar on it 25 mins later on shore and an hour later it was gone.

So... interesting how both cases were similar pain, but first time was far more menacing. Although I'm thinking my pain threshold is high because I don't find a fire coral sting to be painful.. It's annoying, but that's about it.

I hope you feel better soon and perhaps its time to think about wearing some exposure protection? Good luck!

Hey Mobster, funny you should mention the Lyme Disease. The symptoms were very similar! Being in the medical profession I thought of that myself, how strange that the symptoms were alike.

As for your stings, we have fire coral and fire sponge here in the Bahamas. The fire coral is a nuisance, I bump into it occasionaly, and then just go to the bottom and rub some sand on it, seems to make it better. The fire sponge is a different story. Usually find it on morring lines and old rope in the water, burns like hell. Vinegar doesn't work for me, only scalding hot water.

Here's a helpfull bit of info....on a dive boat and need some hot water for a sting? Try using the water comming out of the boats exhaust. Should be quite hot, be sure not to get burned. Use a bucket to catch the water, then a towel to make a "soak" out of it.

Still not ready for my wetsuit, I'll just try and be more cautious. I know, hard headed!!

Mike Rushton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom