ever ruined a mask flaming it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

compton384

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I just got a new mask and want to prepare it for my first dive. I was told by my dive instructor that new masks should be scrubbed with toothpaste, which I did with my previous mask and it seemed to work fine.

I've read on many threads that scrubbing may not get all the coating and that flaming is the only thing that will work to get the chemicals off. I was wondering if anyone has ever ruined a mask doing this? I'm concerned about either melting the silicone parts (I know silicone can handle lots of heat so that's unlikely) or scorching the lens so that it is permanently discolored.

Just scrub it with toothpaste.

Good Gravy - no sense getting flames anywhere near plastic.

I've "toothpasted" any number of masks for me and my children and friends, etc. Worked great for me. It'll work great for you!

Methylated spirits on a cloth works or washing powder.

Gets the excess off the silicone that gets back on the glass too.

If you use a cigarette lighter someone may be tempted.

Dissolved washing powder in a washtub with a dishbrush and toothbrush.

Do the whole thing, not in the washing machine

No more residue.

Very good.

Forever.

Toothpaste for that fresh minty feeling.

White stuff with grit.

Without leaving full crevices.

To burn your eyeballs.

Toothpaste does not always work. Using the flame from a lighter (long lighter is easier) works fine as you can see what is happening. Unless you hold the flame in one spot for too long there will be no problem. I have used both methods many times and sometimes toothpaste work..........sometimes it just doesn't.

Toothpaste works well, You just may have to apply and do the cleaning process several times. I never needed a mask so fast that I had to use a flame to clean it! But yes it does work.
See you topside! John

listen to your instructor not scuba board go dive get real experience then come back to sb and see all the uninformed info enjoy your class and hope to see you in the water and remember if a fire is needed to clean a mask the mfg would recommend it not a no name and no responsability person on sb when you try his advice and damage the mask will he buy you another or just say sorry and give you more lame advice that will cost you.

Toothpaste can scratch the hell out of some of the new plastic lens. I had a friend do this to a new mask and the LDS very firmly informed him about using the proper mask cleaning chemical.

You can read the note on their site:
Toothpaste Is For Teeth

I've used toothpaste, and slate cleaner works well also. You may have to do it several times but we're not talking hours spent here. When you rinse it with cold water, breath on it and if it doesn't fog you're done. :)

...one has to ask, especially if it's just before the 'big trip', if now is the time to discover if you're any good at burning off new mask residue, versus sticking to the proven alternate methods that you yourself admit seem to work just fine ?

Back
Top Bottom