Every PSD needs to read this. Sometimes when there is no hope, there is hope.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Sunday, May 30, 2004

Idaho

Revived toddler still in hospital on respirator

Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Idaho boy who showed signs of life after being pronounced dead of drowning remained in critical condition Saturday at a hospital here.

The 22-month-old toddler was flown from Rexburg, Idaho, Thursday after a nurse preparing his body for a funeral noticed his chest was slightly heaving -- an hour after he had been declared dead.

Logan Pinto was breathing on his own by late Thursday, but he was placed back on a respirator Friday.

Primary Children's Medica
l Center spokeswoman Bonnie Midget said she wasn't authorized to reveal whether the boy still was on the ventilator Saturday, but said his condition was unchanged and critical.

The boy's story has brought calls from news organizations from around the country, but the family is turning down interviews, she said.

Logan wandered away from his baby sitter and fell into a canal near his home in Rexburg, about 275 miles east of Boise. The child was submerged for nearly 30 minutes before police found him a half-mile downstream.

An officer gave the boy CPR but the effort appeared to fail and he was pronounced dead, said Rexburg Police Capt. Randy Lewis.

After giving the boy's mother and stepfather -- Debra and Joe Gould -- some time to say goodbye, Lewis said, Madison Memorial Hospital nurse Mary Zollinger began to prepare Logan's body for a funeral home.

But when she looked at the boy, she noticed signs of life.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know what happened other than what was on the TV news and in this article. But one thing for sure is someone dropped the ball.

Something every PSD, Fireman, LEO, EMT, Paramedic, Nurse, MD and whoever else is involved with drownings must know and remember is: A PERSON IS NOT DEAD UNTIL THEY ARE WARM AND DEAD! Ideally you want to get the body temp back to normal but the mid 90's will work. Much colder than that and the heart just does not want to start.

It could take hours to get the body temp "safely" back to 92 or above. All the while we must pump and breathe for the victim. The rewarming must be slow and done properly to prevent toxins from killing the victim.

We are lucky here locally as we have the needed equipment to handle cold water drownings.

Cold water is not the solid stuff you can walk on but actually anything cooler than the normal body temp.. Some say below 70df is cold water. We don't define it and judge the victim by core temp. and not the surrounding water temp.

Everyone involved with this needs to make sure your local hospital, clinic or village doctor knows how to treat a drowning victim. A lot of people die just because they didn't know how to deal with it properly.

Do your part and help guide them down the right path to getting the knowledge to save a few more. Our job goes way beyond just the diving. You need to help the medical people stay on top of their game, Tactfully.

Need some prayers for the little guy. He just isn't ready to go yet.

Gary D.

Just heard it on the news that the little guy has been upgraded. Looks like he is going to make it.

Keep the prayers flowing his way.

Gary D.

Wow...

Gary,
Any chance you can cut and paste the text? I hate having to register at sites like that, even if it is free...
Scuba-sass :)

Here ya go

22-month-old survives near-drowning
Hospital worker sees vital signs after toddler pronounced dead

Associated Press

BOISE – A hospital worker preparing a drowned toddler for the funeral home on Thursday noticed the boy was breathing – more than an hour after he had been pronounced dead.

The 22-month-old boy, Logan Pinto, is in critical condition but showing signs of improvement, Rexburg Police Capt. Randy Lewis said Friday.

Logan apparently wandered away from his baby sitter and fell into a canal near his home in Rexburg, about 275 miles east of Boise. The child was submerged for nearly 30 minutes before police Cpl. Colin Erickson found him a half-mile downstream, Lewis said.

Though an officer gave him CPR and emergency workers did everything they could to revive him, Lewis said, all efforts failed and the boy was pronounced dead.

After giving the boy's mother and stepfather – Debra and Joe Gould – some time to say goodbye, Lewis said, Madison Memorial Hospital nurse Mary Zollinger began to prepare Logan's body for the funeral home.

But when she looked at the boy, she noticed his chest was slightly moving. Logan was alive.

The child was flown to Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, where he was listed Friday morning in critical and guarded condition. Late Thursday, he was breathing on his own and his color had returned, Lewis said, but he was placed back on a respirator Friday.

“I'm just amazed and overwhelmed with what took place,” Lewis said. “They aggressively worked on him for quite a bit of time, and of course it's a bad situation when you have to let the parents know that their son has passed away.”

But despair turned to joy, Lewis said, when emergency workers learned the boy was alive.

“It's called divine intervention, I think. I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe it hardly, especially after leaving there and seeing what had transpired,” he said. “I don't know how to explain it. It's joyous and relieving,” Lewis said.

The near-drowning happened while Logan was at a baby sitter's house, Lewis said. He was playing in the front yard when some of the baby sitter's friends stopped by. She apparently lost track of Logan for a couple of minutes, Lewis said, and did not see him wander into the unfenced back yard, which is bordered by the Rexburg City Canal.

The lower temperature of the canal water – cooled by melting snow – likely helped the child survive, Lewis said.

thanks Gary for the story my wife and i will pray for the child tonight I don't know all the details but what you tell me that sounds like a miracle to me. and thanks for keeping us inform. the news is full of sad storys and bad stuff it's good to hear a good ending what's in a while. alex t.

Curious - thanks for taking the time to post the text.

Safe Diving,
Scuba-sass :)

Gary D.:
Just heard it on the news that the little guy has been upgraded. Looks like he is going to make it.

Keep the prayers flowing his way.

Gary D.

He has mine and Amandas prayers tonight !

Back
Top Bottom