Everything done right......still a hit.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred,

I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you, but admit I could have worded my post better.

o2bbubblefree:
So, 15 years times 365 days / year is 5475 days. 13,000 dives in 5475 days is about 5.5 dives per day, right?. You are pushing the envelope!

Fred R.:
What makes you think I started diving only 15 years ago?

I don't, but:

Fred R.:
but I have been doing this since 1990, have done 13,000 dives this way…

say's you've been doing 'this' for 15 years and 13,000 dives...

Anyway, welcome to the board, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Lisa: Hope you make a full recovery soon! I am curious what computer you were diving and if you had left it at the default safety setting, or increased it.

Speedy recovery.

Bjorn

ocean4vr:
I thought it may have been a muscle pull, so I continued helping out on the boat.
Lisa

ocean4vr:
I wasn't exerting myself at all. We were doing a drift dive, half of the group went with the current, my half went against the current. Since the current was strong, I decided to find a good spot and just hang out there. So I wasn't exerting anything. On this type of dive, the boat comes to pick us up, so there is no exertion getting to the boat.
Thanks for asking,
Lisa

Dr. Deco's hotspot 101 - You exerted yourself enough "helping" that you even thought you had pulled a muscle at first. During your off gas period you should avoid anything strenous. I've heard cases from climbing the swim step at the back of the boat to climbing 100 flights of stairs a the local cove to a long surface swim all causing hits. Excercise and exertion after a dive is a complete no-no and especially after decent amount of tissue loading - yet so few people make this connection, they only look at predispositions.

DiverBuoy,
I really wasn't over-exerting, I was sitting on the bench wrapping the string line around a plastic bottle. The muscle pull, I thought a pull, was from sitting on the bench, missing the tank holder and repositioning....then removing my BC. Again, thanks to all that contributed to the original question. I have learned so much from all the discussion.
Lisa

Ocean4vr (Lisa), I'm glad to hear that you are recovering.
I am not qualified or experienced enough to give any advice or answer any questions. I would just like to thank you and everyone else for the information.

:wink:
Ok, I don't want to fuel a fire here but, 15years 365 days a year = 5475 days
13000 dives / 5475 days = 2.375 Dives a day. :wink:

Still a lot of dives!

O2BBubbleFree:
Fred,

I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you, but admit I could have worded my post better.

I don't, but:

say's you've been doing 'this' for 15 years and 13,000 dives...

Anyway, welcome to the board, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks for the math, 2.375 sounds exactly right. According to my accountant/wife, the exact number as of 1/1/06 is 12,958. I am one of those with more dives than posts. :wink:

I don't usually post, but this ascent procedure problem is of serious safety concern so I thought I should add to the discussion.

Most of the DAN related information, having to do with who gets bent or not, stuff like gender, smoking, hot showers, was found to be not significant. (or downright humerous!) While nobody seemed to make a big deal of publishing it, even DAN found out that the ascent procedure was the most important factor in who gets bent or not. It took them almost a decade longer than everyone else in research but they got there.

Heavy exercise can be a contributing factor, especially if you are heavily nucleated.

The trick is to not be heavily nucleated, and the way to do that is to come up slower and stop more often and longer as you approch the surface.

I get a laugh at everyone who says that exercise was the cause of a hit.

After every dive for years, I had to pull up a twenty pound anchor, with over a hundred feet of rode. That's a workout! Then, when I got back to the dock, I would have to load/reload the boat, usually about 700 pounds of tanks off, then on.

Now we have moorings, and a bigger boat. So I don't have to pull the anchor, but I have more to lift.

That doesn't even take into account the evening exercise program. Most people who dive the type of schedule that I do find that they have to have a workout program. In part to boost core temperature, in part to prevent the injuries that comes with all the lifting and carrying.

Besides, we go through all sorts of trouble to get underwater, I never understood the rush to get out. Another couple of minutes hanging around just below the surface is kind of nice. (this coming from someone that spends 2-3 hours a day underwater :) )

Hello Fred R:

Ascent rate is import since it controls the Boyle’s-law expansion of a gas bubbles as the pressure decreases. When some of the bubbles become too large, the Laplace (shrinking/constraining) pressure is too small and the internal gas pressure causes a very rapid expansion. It is actually sort of an explosive increase as the dissolved nitrogen now enters.

The bubble will never shrink on its own except by loss of free gas leaving the bubble, dissolving again, and being carried away by the circulatory system. This is not a fast processes since the nitrogen in the bubbles is essentially at ambient pressure. That is, there is a very small gradient.

Exercise is what creates the nuclei [the larger ones anyway]. It is not exercise that combines with the nuclei rather the exercise that creates the nuclei.

Not all individuals will produce nuclei/bubbles at the same rate when exercising. This is demonstrable in the laboratory. Why? It is not known. Some can exercise without a problem

Thanks to all responded to my original question. Now that I know that I will probably never know what really triggered the "hit". I am looking for information on life after a hit. The majority of my hit happened on my left side. Since then the strength in the left leg is not as strong as the right leg. I've also been getting alot of cramps in my calf. So if you've ever been hit before, please advise me on what the outcome may be on a full and total recovery.
Thanks again,
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom