Everything done right......still a hit.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been almost a year since this dive accident. The leg strength is about 80% better. The calf cramps have continued and the more I do the worse they get. I will be back in the water next month and with a new dive strategy, I hope to dive accident free.
Lisa

Good Luck Lisa, and be careful. Hope you're planning on Nitrox with an Air dive computer, etc. I still get lag pans from a DVT incurred last Oct, but we work thru things sometimes. Let us know how it goes.

Oh, I would expect to be nervous on the first few dives. That's just a reminder to be careful; don't let it be a problem. :wink:

Hello readers:

Physical Activity :sprite10:

It is clear that a great many divers, of this FORUM anyway, are familiar with the concept of physical activity and DCS. A legacy from the days of John Scot Haldane is that of “critical supersaturation.” This manifested itself in the manner in which decompression tables are calculated today. In addition, it is the governing principle for decometers. This concept states that gas loads are what will determine DCS.

Barophysiologists are aware that work while at depth will increase the gas loads in the tissues and all tables are tested with exercise on the bottom.

The idea that exercise will increase the risk of DCS during decompression is less well recognized. Some are not aware of it at all. In altitude decompression (saturation, upward excursion), the effect of exercise at altitude (that is, during the decompression portion of the maneuver), is clear from laboratory studies. Similar exercise studies have not been extensively performed with scuba divers, but there is little reason to doubt that it would be different.

Self Controlled Decompression

Divers seem to like the idea of a device controlling the outcome of a dive. Possibly that is just our technological age or possibly it is long condition with the Haldane concept of stable supersaturation. Nevertheless, divers do have control over the outcome of a dive that exceeds the typical problems of gas loads as encountered in recreational diving.

This effect is the generation and/or enlargement of tissue nuclei in the post-dive phase. No device can accomplish for us what we can do for ourselves.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2006 is September 16 – 17. :1book: http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Dr Deco:
Hello readers:

Physical Activity :sprite10:

It is clear that a great many divers, of this FORUM anyway, are familiar with the concept of physical activity and DCS. A legacy from the days of John Scot Haldane is that of “critical supersaturation.” This manifested itself in the manner in which decompression tables are calculated today. In addition, it is the governing principle for decometers. This concept states that gas loads are what will determine DCS.

Barophysiologists are aware that work while at depth will increase the gas loads in the tissues and all tables are tested with exercise on the bottom.

The idea that exercise will increase the risk of DCS during decompression is less well recognized. Some are not aware of it at all. In altitude decompression (saturation, upward excursion), the effect of exercise at altitude (that is, during the decompression portion of the maneuver), is clear from laboratory studies. Similar exercise studies have not been extensively performed with scuba divers, but there is little reason to doubt that it would be different.

Self Controlled Decompression

Divers seem to like the idea of a device controlling the outcome of a dive. Possibly that is just our technological age or possibly it is long condition with the Haldane concept of stable supersaturation. Nevertheless, divers do have control over the outcome of a dive that exceeds the typical problems of gas loads as encountered in recreational diving.

This effect is the generation and/or enlargement of tissue nuclei in the post-dive phase. No device can accomplish for us what we can do for ourselves.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2006 is September 16 – 17. :1book: http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm
In addition to physical activity and nucleation, an increasingly concern for me is the possibility of physiologic shunts of blood via the lungs, thus bypassing the filter mechanism expected to trap bubbles.

One study confirmed the presence of physical shunts while another suggests such shunting does not exist in diving related exercise. However, the methods of the diving study are questionable.

What's your view on these, Dr. Deco?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15388775&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15845772&query_hl=9&itool=pubmed_docsum

Fred R.:
have done 13,000 dives this way, and been part of 100,000 dive events, all without a SINGLE case of the bends. So I think I am on the right track here.

For what its worth to you…

13000!??! Yikes. You have a house underwater, then, yes? :wink:

It's worth alot to me, thank you for sharing, and I'm printing this for my dive file....

DiverBuoy:
Dr. Deco's hotspot 101 - You exerted yourself enough "helping" that you even thought you had pulled a muscle at first. During your off gas period you should avoid anything strenous. I've heard cases from climbing the swim step at the back of the boat to climbing 100 flights of stairs a the local cove to a long surface swim all causing hits. Excercise and exertion after a dive is a complete no-no and especially after decent amount of tissue loading - yet so few people make this connection, they only look at predispositions.

Forgive my ignorance, but a recent study noted that vigorous exercise after diving is actually one of the better things to do... it's in another recent thread here; I see that this is an older thread, so where is the thinking on this now? (I apologize for stirring the pot, but I cannot recall the thread in which that study was posted...)

Cheers!
t

pterantula:
Forgive my ignorance, but a recent study noted that vigorous exercise after diving is actually one of the better things to do... it's in another recent thread here; I see that this is an older thread, so where is the thinking on this now? (I apologize for stirring the pot, but I cannot recall the thread in which that study was posted...)

Cheers!
t
Not for the first few hours after. Makes dissolved N2 leave too fast, like shaking a hot soft drink or beer....

DandyDon:
Not for the first few hours after. Makes dissolved N2 leave too fast, like shaking a hot soft drink or beer....

I'll buy than analogy. Besides, I'm usually ready to just sit and muse after a dive anyway...

I think I will take that to the bank....

great post that was....

Thanks for the post Lisa, I am happy you are getting better slowly. Just take it slow. This has been a great thread. I have learned a little and have been reminded of things I learned in the past. Its always good to rehash safety every once in awhile.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom