Exams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lloydmcwalters

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hiya,

Tomorrow i am traveling to barbados to do my divemaster course , i will be there for 3 weeks(ish) , so have to teach myself all the theory etc at home so we can just crack on with the practical side whilst im there.

I've read the divemaster manual and th encyclopedia , so it that all i need to read before the exams ?

As a bit of background i have just finished my first year of a chemical engineering degree , so am used to PV=nrt amongst others.

Make sure you're comfortable with the table and the wheel too - including minimum surface intervals.

with your degree, the knowledge workbook, text, and encyclopedia you are good to go.

My goodness...Stay away from the ideal gas law equation...All you need is Boyle's law. P1xV1= P2xV2...Some will say what about combining Boyle with Charles. Ok...
P1xV1/T1 = P2xV2/T2...(which is an easier alternative way of expressing the ideal gas law).Thing is, the difference in temperatures related to a dive with say a thermocline, is going to be so small that temperature isn't going to make a hell of alot of difference in your answer. Even a dive to 400 feet isn't going to change your answer that much. Work a problem out and see. So that leaves you with Boyle again. Using PV=nRT...Why on earth would you want to get that knit-picky. Even though you are studying chemical engineering, try not to impress folks with your vast knowledge...Keep it simple...

The Ideal Gas law is simple for those who are used to working with it. Real gas laws, and differences in compressibility are beyond the test, I agree, but there were a few questions on my test that accounted for temp changes.

Tom

The temperature questions....you can do them the hard way or the easy way.

The hard way applies Charles Law: P1xV1/T1 = P2xV2/T2, adding 460 to T1/T2 to get Rankin temp in the calculation. (degree f)

Or, the easy way: 5psi for every 1 degree change in temperature.

I prefer the easy way. The hard way is more exact but the easy way will suffice for the test.

Well, I guess I prefer the hard way, as it is not another thing I have to remember. I always forget if its 5psi per degree Celcius or Farenheit. It doesn't matter as long as you can get the right answer, so do it the way that works for you.

...and Charles' Law uses temps in Kelvin, not Rankin.

Back
Top Bottom