Excercise/fitness for diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Well Spring Term is rapidlly approaching and I'm trying to plan out my Term at college.

So far my plans are for a simple one credit Math class (last math I need to graduate), Rescue Diver, and Lifegaurd training (for the swimming excercise and possible summer job opportunity)

As for the Rescue Yes I already have my CPR/First Aid cert, sounds like I get them again as part of lifegaurd training (oh well, practice never hurts on such important things)

So I have room left for easily 1 more class (could fit a few more all the classes I'm planning for are short, but I don't like taking more than 4 courses)

I don't want to do anything difficult (like Math, Science, etc.) but was thinking another PE class would be good, esspecially something to help with diving. Some sort of strength training or such. What I really thought would be good is some sort of PE class which would help me get fit in ways which would keep me from getting winded on surface swims (I'm not as bad as many but I'd like to have easier surface swims), but also (and probably most importantly) help my air consumption. My consumption is pretty good, and I know diving more helps, but I think a fittness level would help me a TON at this point, as I'm VERY relaxed while diving.

There's a "Cardio Kickboxing" Class that I would think would be good. I've been starting some strength training at home (maily curls and such for my arms, the parts I really want to get stronger with)

I know DIR reccomends a 30min or something training regiment but what kind of training? Is it Cardio? If so I guess the Cardio Kickboxing would be good.

I thought about e-mailing or calling the head of the PE dept. and talking to them, but it seems to be harder to track down a dept. head for PE than anything else.

Here is a link to our schedule (takes you to the PE classes) so you can look at see whats offered, but my guess is something like the Cardio Kickboxing, etc. I used to do martial arts, so it will be a bit like old times... My guess is a cardio/edurance workout is what I need... not something which will increase my demand for O2 but lower my demand under heavier loads.

Anyways, any suggestions, ideas, etc. I've thought about doing my own workouts, but it's hard for me to remember to do my work out (so far doing good with weights, but running, etc. is a different story) plus I need the credits, so why not :D

Here is the link I mentioned to the Spring Schedule of Classes:
http://cf.linnbenton.edu/schedule/spring03_cr/compile_result2.cfm?id=63.0

Thanks a TON for the great advice provided by this board so far, I'm sure this thread will be a continuation of it.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
There are thousands of programs...30 min cardio + strength training (repeat 3 times/wk)

Thanks DiverBuoy.

I actually finnaly did find someone at the school to talk to, and a suggestion was made for Circuit Weight Training. She said it provides a good cardio workout (especially if you do multiple reps as opposed to high weight) but that I could get a good cardio workout and build strength... just as you suggested... Might have to go that route instead... nice time as well Monday, Wed, Friday 10am to 11am.

scuberd once bubbled...
I like sailing,
nothing goes better with diving than boating

Sounds good... I'd LOVE to be able to go sailing... Thats one of the other things I've ALLWAYS wanted to do (SCUBA was another)... One of thoose goals is accomplished... Unfortunately we don't have a class on sailing or I'd take it in a heartbeat. Someday when I get a job again (HA) I will get all the rest of my dive gear bought, a new scuba rig (the car works, but not for 2 divers) and buy my sailboat I want (only $15k base for a 26' long boat, with no options, course I'd get options :) http://www.macgregor26.com/)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom