Excess baggage costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Lion Air (Wings): LBJ to Ende (for access to the volcano). A 45 min trip.

We paid a total of about $200 for taking 100 kgs of gear. The flight cost itself was $86 for two people.

- Bill & Emily

Oh groan, that's awful

The normal fees cover the cost of transporting the passengers. Excess baggage fees cover the cost of buying the planes.:rant:
If you don't like it you can always use a boat, drive, or rent a plane.
Ask me why I don't dive anywhere that I can't drive to.

Michael

I look at it a bit differently. If the flight is $86 and the stuff I want to take with me is going to be $200, then I'm glad the flight is so inexpensive.

It seems the airline industry is moving to sell flights for the passenger only, baggage is extra, particularly for economy flights.

I recently priced up Glasgow to Grand Canary, Spain. The flight was attractive, but adding 25kg baggage (at £40 per kg - £80 at checkin) made it marginal cheaper than flying the Bangkok. Even on the long hall flight baggage allowances have been reduced this year.

Rather than a week diving in Spain I’ll have 2 weeks diving in Thailand for about £200 more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom