Exercise before/after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gary did you go through underwater swimmers school kwest? what class?

gary did you go through underwater swimmers school kwest? what class?

I was there for two weeks of Chopper and Apollo training in 67. All my dive training was in Pearl and San Diego.

Gary D.

I know what circular logic is. My question was just whether there's a difference between exercise underwater and exercise over water, if *exercise* is considered a potential risk in DCI.

I appreciate that there may be many other more important factors and I personally hydrate the hell out of myself but was just curious whether exercise with nitrogen in solution was comparable with nitrogen out of solution. I'm just trying to understand what risks there are and aren't.
I think I was taught in PADI OW that strenuous dives (i.e. dives with exercise) should be considered as 4m deeper than they actually were, for nitrogen loading.

Do any of you dive with your significant other? What about engaging in sex post-dive? If staying within recreational NDL -- a bit of fun when we get home should be of no concern?

Biggest "exercise" risk after diving is normally people climing back onto a boat, unloading and lifting their kit and stages back on then quite often recovering shotlines, recovering boat onto trailer and so on.
Often that CAN be quite strenuous but theres no avoiding it.
This is VERY important for people who choose to dive off of their own boat; especially people like me with a very small vessel. I would estimate that 95% of my dive trips are conducted in such a manner that all of the boat responsibilities fall onto me solely. I hook my trailer to my truck alone, I launch the boat @ ramp alone, I am solely responsible for everything while we're out -- to include underwater AND topside naviagtion -- I have to get the boat back to the ramp. Hook back up to trailer winch in a safe manner. Tie all of the "insurance lines" from vessel to trailer. And then trailer the boat (and its occupants) back to their safe place...home.

This is leaving out a ton of important (and admittedly tiring) responsibilities.....I believe that many divers take this for granted. As a private boat owner in a diving utopia, I'm often spending more time prepping/cleaning than I do diving & enjoying the ocean which brought me to this point initially. But I love it.

People need to understand that exhaustion is not only physical, but mental. And it is exponentially exacerbated by necessary tasks related to the vessel you are diving from.

The thought process from a capt. standpoint makes the "$80-$100" cost for a 2-tank trip almost immediately worth it.

Be kind to your boat-owning friends, who choose to take you out with them....maybe offer to help clean the boat when you get back to the dock. I assure you - it is far more meaningful than "gas money"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha who remembers another one of these threads a touch younger than this

where the magnificent TSandM goes, she goes

"I thought you got enough exercise carrying your gear from the car to the boat!"

ha ha ha ha ha aha or something like that, ha ha ha nha ha nha ha

I usually do some moderate weight lifting everyday when I wake up, before I eat. 80kg benchpress 20 reps, 20kg dumbell press 20 reps, 15kg curls 8 reps each arm and sometimes a second set of benchpress. Nothing major, not to get big, just for the metabolic benefit and longevity. Then I dive about an hour or two later and I am usually done by lunch. I usually ride my bike around for an hour in the late afternoon but not super vigorously.

I think after a few years of this lifestyle, I have reached a healthy plateau and it doesn't seem to affect me regarding saturation or bubbles in my blood. I just want to see grandkids someday.

Back
Top Bottom