Exercise Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BVickery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, though I'm pretty young I have a plethora of orthopedic issues I have to contend with in regards to exercise.

-Full Hip Replacement (done at age 32 so NO running)
-Arthritis in both feet and add in a very severe case of arthritis/bursitis so long walks are very much out (at least for now). For those that say muscle through it, if i do a 30 min walk I am in so much pain I am on the verge of NOT walking for the next 3-4 days.)
-Do not have access to a pool to do laps

Goals -
-Lose more weight (have dropped approx 50-60lbs right now, want/need to drop more)
-increase/improve my cardio for better health (and better SAC)
-LIGHT strength training (this I have, taken many classes, hired a few Personal Trainers and talked with numerous Physical Therapists to know what I can and can not do).

My current weight drop was just from switching to a more healthy diet and bit more increase in physical activity (benefit of living on 3rd floor and having 2 dogs).
My apartment complex does have an elliptical machine, anyone able to tell me if this would be beneficial to me?

BVickery,

I'm glad to see how motivated you are to work at obtaining better health. Good for you! I am an avid runner and exercise faithfully. About 5 years ago I seriously changed my diet and pretty much eliminated sugar, went to whole foods and avoid as much processed food as possible. I can't tell you how much better I feel. I'm honestly not even tempted by most sweets any more cause I feel so yucky after eating them. It took me a good 6 months to lose my craving for sugar, but now I taste the natural flavors in food and like that.

Swimming would be perfect for you. 30 minutes minimum with fairly vigorous activity - whether it's freestyle swimming, backstroke, whatever - mixing it up would do wonders for your body over time. Need to do it 4 times a week if possible. You mentioned that you don't have access to a pool. Can you find a way? Your health is so very important and you will enjoy life much more.

Other options would be body weight exercise and light dumbells or kettleballs. Bicycle crunches are great and not too physically demanding. Youtube has a bunch of tutorials for all this stuff. Good luck to you and let me know what you settle into for a faithful exercise and eating routine. It must become a way of life for you to have the most lasting rewards.

As I said, access to a proper lap pool isn't available here. I'm 6'7 and standing up in the 'deep' end the water is up to my chest. 2 strokes and I'm in the shallow water and not fun. Given I am on a tight budget and the current price of gas pool membership is prohibitive (looking at $600 in extra gas a year alone just to go to/from the pool).

Will definitely hit the elliptical after I bring the dogs out though.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

And just got in from first workout since pretty much clearing up ton of medical issues.

Few notes:

The Nordic Skiing type machine works well, but need to go slow and build up my knee's again
Though I only worked out for approx 15 mins, got a good sweat going, heart rate was up. Cut short because I can not risk an injury. Hip started to feel stressed so stopped. Rather go slow and not have a new surgery than fast and have a new one.

Also, as I told my friend...short 15 min workout on the machine is much better than 0 mins on it.

Very commendable seeing you taking charge of your health and physical fitness but I think you would benefit a lot more from direct, supervised training. You mentioned you have already seen some PTs, and other exercises professionals, my advice would be to hire them to write specific programs for you. They already have the tremendous advantage of knowing you and being familiar with your conditions. That way, instead of focusing only on what you should not being -which can get too broad- you will have a definite plan of action.

I wish you the best in your fitness goals and continued improvement.

Very commendable seeing you taking charge of your health and physical fitness but I think you would benefit a lot more from direct, supervised training. You mentioned you have already seen some PTs, and other exercises professionals, my advice would be to hire them to write specific programs for you. They already have the tremendous advantage of knowing you and being familiar with your conditions. That way, instead of focusing only on what you should not being -which can get too broad- you will have a definite plan of action.

I wish you the best in your fitness goals and continued improvement.

The PTs and trainers who are most knowledgeable are over 1,000 miles away in Mass. I live in FL now.

The PTs and trainers who are most knowledgeable are over 1,000 miles away in Mass. I live in FL now.

Perhaps you can look for Chek Practitioners and Fitness Professionals who hold the RTS or RTSm certifications. Well versed in biomechanics and I have been very happy with the ones I know so far.

RTS or RTSm?

RTS or RTSm?

RTS certified trainers are excellent and RTSm certified trainers have followed a very in-depth biomechanics mastery course. Either one will work well for you. :)

RTS certified trainers are excellent and RTSm certified trainers have followed a very in-depth biomechanics mastery course. Either one will work well for you. :)

Wasn't able to do that, but got a hold of the book "Fitness for Divers" and a lot of the stretching it displays are ones the docs want me to use, so having the visual reference helps a lot. Also found out some great news. Found out the city has a public pool VERY close to my apartment, though have to wait about 1 month before it opens up.

Started a cardio/strenth type regime modified to suit my particular issues (hip, shoulder, arm) but I am feeling good about it, though my muscles are sore.

Back
Top Bottom