Exercises to enhance my diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EireDiver606

Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys,

I’m 5’9 and 75kg (165pounds) and have a history of calisthenics, climbing, running (not much) and now I’m going to the gym doing free weights 6 times a week to increase my strength. I want to focus one day a week for specific scuba related exercises like for lifting and carrying cylinders, carrying heavy gear.

I know squats, deadlifts and farmer walks are useful but I would like to know if anyone knows specific exercises to target specific muscle groups for things like carrying twinsets etc. any specific adjustments to squats which would target. I’m not really sure what to ask because I don’t know what I don’t know because I’m relatively new to free weights and scuba. All exercises whether weights or calisthenics are welcomed. Is walking up the stairs with a twinset on, good?

Weights 6 times a week seem like overtraining to my taste but otherwise you are going in the right direction. Make sure you are good with pull-ups and bench press cause this helps on the boat ladders.

Core exercises are just as important for lifting and helping to avoid back strain. ALso, hamstring strengthening exercises like SLDL....Dont forget stretching.

Core work and cardio. Honestly any well rounded exercise routine will be more than 90% of the divers you encounter are doing.

Weights 6 times a week seem like overtraining to my taste but otherwise you are going in the right direction. Make sure you are good with pull-ups and bench press cause this helps on the boat ladders.
Yes I was overtraining, couldn’t get great sleep even after waking up at 6am everyday. I am writing this while I have a cold...

Core exercises are just as important for lifting and helping to avoid back strain. ALso, hamstring strengthening exercises like SLDL....Dont forget stretching.
Can you list hamstring strengthening exercises?

If you want to work out 6 times a week, switch out muscle groups. 3x legs, 3x upper body for example.

I'd add what I call "inverted situps." Basically, lie down on your stomach and lift your upper body off the ground as far as you can. If you have access to the right combination of bench and a place to hook your legs, you can do this from a 90 degree angle (face and feet down, hips up) up to 180 degrees (head highest, feet lowest). If you've done this a bit, you can hold a light weight behind your head while doing it.

It's been the cure for any lower back issues I've had. (I don't ordinarily have issues, but when I tweak something this gets me stronger and I don't tweak it again. Then I get lazy and stop doing it, and a year or so later I'll tweak it again....)

If you want to work out 6 times a week, switch out muscle groups. 3x legs, 3x upper body for example.

I'd add what I call "inverted situps." Basically, lie down on your stomach and lift your upper body off the ground as far as you can. If you have access to the right combination of bench and a place to hook your legs, you can do this from a 90 degree angle (face and feet down, hips up) up to 180 degrees (head highest, feet lowest). If you've done this a bit, you can hold a light weight behind your head while doing it.

It's been the cure for any lower back issues I've had. (I don't ordinarily have issues, but when I tweak something this gets me stronger and I don't tweak it again. Then I get lazy and stop doing it, and a year or so later I'll tweak it again....)
Doing 3 days of legs work out isn’t possible nor healthy.
I think you mean pull, push, leg, rest, pull, push, leg. This I agree with.

Thank you that’s a great idea that I will add to the list.

Back
Top Bottom