Exhaust tees....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg Barlow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
When I started diving back in the 70's, single hose regs had exhaust tees that diverted bubbles in a manner where they seldom entered your line of sight. Now, so many manufacturers "believe" that small tees are what customers desire. Whether this is true or not is a matter of debate. I, for one, prefer the larger tees. My Mares Akros regs all wear them, as does my Apeks TX50. Why, oh why, did Apeks go to the small tee on the ATX series?

Perhaps the wave is turning, for the Atomic M1 has a larger tee and is labled as being designed to deal with the aggravating issue.

Is it just me, or are the manufacturers missing the boat?

Greg

Greg Barlow:
Perhaps the wave is turning, for the Atomic M1 has a larger tee and is labled as being designed to deal with the aggravating issue.

Is it just me, or are the manufacturers missing the boat?

Greg

LOVE IT. Quieter, for sure. Good money spent for me.

K

I think the manufacturers believe smaller is better, marketing hype. For some I suppose a lighter and smaller regulator may be of some benefit. For me, I like the wider exhaust tee of my TX100. I have to admit that there isn't a lot of difference in bubble interference between my TX100 and ATX200.

the exhaust tee is probably a large percentage of the mass of the second stage adn decreasing its size allows maufacturers to boast 25% lighter secon stages, like your atx series. I definetely agree that the bubbles are an inconvenience on my apeks. I have not used a TX model but I know that a small second stage with a large tee is possible a la sherwood blizzard...

Scubapro is now selling add-on "bubble deflectors" for their "smaller tee" second stages. I put one on my G500 and took it with me to Bonaire & Curacao last month. Worked great - reminded me of a Sherwood Maximus in terms of bubble dispersion, but was a more comfortable and FAR drier breathing reg (for me, a good thing) than the Maximus. For some reason, Scubapro UK is the only part of the Scubapro web site I've found these listed, and I had to order them from the UK. I've shown this to a couple of US Scubapro shops and they all say this is new news to them. This will also fit the S600 and S550.

http://www.scubapro.co.uk/products.asp?P=470

It's not you. Sherwood seemed to head that way a few years then realized the error in their ways and returned to a larger tee. I love my Zeag's but I just never have gotten used to my Poseidon. Bubbles seem to be there when you least need them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom