• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Exolung

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by Damselfish, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Damselfish

Damselfish Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
  2. kmarks

kmarks Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I just saw this, sent the link to my wife via email and said almost the exact same thing. "What could go wrong with that?"

I think the idea is absurd because you have to keep swimming to keep it working. The more you swim, the more air you consume, so you'll need to keep swimming harder and harder to keep up the air compression/production that is only increasing as you swim harder and harder, consuming more and more air. It's runaway positive feedback - a terrible idea.

3. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Hmmm, a diver powered vacuum pump assisted snorkel. Does anyone know which company provides their liability insurance? I want to make sure it is not in my retirement portfolio.

tridacna likes this.
  4. JMBL

JMBL Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I started diving in 1990 and that kind of contraption was already around. I remember seeing it at least twice since then, under different names and marketed by different companies. I had the chance to talk with a guy (in the mid 90's I think) who had used it : found it fun and perfectly working, but a bit cumbersome and only efficient with calm waters.

5. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Good news! Other than the required maintenance, you don't have to do any maintenance!

I think I'm going to start up a kickstarter. I've got an idea for a round device that I call a "kele-wheel." It will help move heavy objects around on the ground. The upgraded version will include a rubber "kele-tire" that helps reduce vibration from moving your heavy object over a bumpy surface such as a road.

6. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Interesting.

The sales pitch on the web site states, "And when a diver stops swimming, it'll presumably be because he or she has resurfaced."

Yea, that or because the diver got tired, the air supply stopped, and he died.

s.newatlas.com%2Fb9%2Fe9%2F46e4faa3471bb7a210c530e759dc%2Fscreen-shot-2019-12-10-at-1.58.47%20PM.png

7. JMBL

JMBL Solo Diver

I guess you cannot go below 3 or 5m with this apparatus, so going up in an out of air situation shouldn't be too complicated.

8. ScubaToneDog

ScubaToneDog Instructor, Scuba

Honestly, I would love to try this thing. The concept is simple and

I did the math and the "Lung" only requires about a 7lb pull at depth. I watched the video and it looks like you can only do a frog kick for propulsion while breathing. You can also keep air pumping without kicking for propulsion.

Not for the inexperienced! They do state a basic knowledge of compressed air diving is required for use. They do not have a patent yet and are not looking for crowd funding.

https://www.exolung.com/

9. Silt Life

Silt Life Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Should come with leg cramp relief meds.......

chillyinCanada likes this.
  10. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

Just like those sharks that have to keep moving to breathe: if they stop swimming, it's presumably because they got sucked into a Sharknado.

chillyinCanada likes this.