http://www.diveheart.org/

"Experienced" diver looking for volunteering possibilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kodo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for volunteer possibilities for a relatively "experienced", whatever that means, diver (700+ dives). Most opportunities I've found soo far have been internship (zero -> advanced/divemaster) opportunities. I don't have a fixed area of interest - rather I'm looking for possibilities to do something meaningful yet be able to dive.

Any suggestions are very welcome:)

A couple of things come to mind immediately.

One of the things I did very early on after becoming certified was to volunteer as "victim" for the rescue course. It's a good way to keep the rescue skills fresh in your mind and sometimes instructors need more "victims" than they can find.
Another thing I did before becoming a divemaster was to take "tag alongs" from the shop with me diving. I usually dove with 1 or 2 other guys and I didn't mind this because I was trying to meet new people. The shop used it as a way to get their students some experience in local diving without having to set up an official guided dive. Some students made regular use of it. It was a win/win/win. Shop didn't have to organize stuff, the student didn't have to pay for a dedicated DM and I met new divers. I only met one diver in the course of doing this that I told the shop I wouldn't dive with again.

Re: the above, I still do this today. In the summer time I have a regular "wednesday night bimble" in a local lake. It's easy diving, shallow and interesting in the summer months. It's all low-key but I put it on their agenda and the odd time other divers show up and we show them the ropes.

R..

Depending upon where you are, Reef Check may be an option. You need to take a class to learn proper survey techniques, and you can volunteer as a citizen scientist diver collecting data.

Reef Check Foundation

not sure where you are as that really impacts what opportunities are out there, but most aquariums need volunteer divers, and when you get good enough at talking to people, you will interact with the visitors. Volunteering with dive shops as an AI for open water is always good and it helps give the students a much better experience. VFD dive teams are out there as well. Lots of options depending on where you are

I'm looking for volunteer possibilities for a relatively "experienced", whatever that means, diver (700+ dives). Most opportunities I've found soo far have been internship (zero -> advanced/divemaster) opportunities. I don't have a fixed area of interest - rather I'm looking for possibilities to do something meaningful yet be able to dive.

Where are you?
Do you mean every day, or occasionally? On travel or at home?

Volunteering in an aquarium is good at home; Reef check (mentioned above) or fish surveys (REEF. org) are good on travel.

Check out NOAA and EPA for diving opportunities.
This is tough. You need certification under their systems to dive with them, and that is not easy to get.

Where are you located? Volunteer opportunities vary by location. In our area, you can volunteer at our local aquarium, volunteer in oyster restoration, volunteer in marine archeology, and do volunteer fish counts. That is off the top of my head. I bet with a little effort I could find more volunteer diver opportunities.

Come be a part of the best emergency team and network for the care and treatment of dive casualties in the nation:
Volunteer > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

If you live in Central Texas, Spring Lake in San Marcos needs volunteer divers for environmental restoration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom