Experiences with dry suit Fourth Element Argonaut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

solside1971

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everybody,
Up to now I have had Santi, SF Tech and DUI Drysuits. I had originally ordered a Santi ELITE+, but unfortunately Santi messed up the measurements and there is an ongoing discussion between the dealer who measured me and SANTI. Therefore I am now looking for another suit. In discussion are ROFOS, again DUI (I love the zu-seals and the light weight of the TLS) or Fourth Element Argonaut. For the first ones, I have some people around me diving the suits, but unfortunately not for the Fourth Element. Therefore I reach out to you! Does anybody have a long-term experience, pros and cons? No need for advising other drysuits, I only want to hear about experiences you have with the Fourth Element Argonaut. Thanks a million and have a nice day!

Yes, I had one and thought the design was brilliant. Only downside initially was that the suit was a little stiff compared to others. On my recommendation, a friend bought one and it was like a tea bag (i.e. very leaky). Lots of small pores had formed in the material. It went back to Fourth Element a couple of times (from New Zealand!) and the issue wasn't resolved. In the end, she got a refund. My suit was reliable for a few years and then started getting tea bag syndrome in the pelvic area. Still under warranty, it went back for repair and was basically rebuilt as I understand it. Due to a break from diving, I then sold it. In summary, great design, but the fabric issues were unforgivable. This was over 2013-17. I see there is a version 2.0 now and the suits now come with a lifetime warranty. You would assume that this means that they have sorted the problems?

Yes, I had one and thought the design was brilliant. Only downside initially was that the suit was a little stiff compared to others. On my recommendation, a friend bought one and it was like a tea bag (i.e. very leaky). Lots of small pores had formed in the material. It went back to Fourth Element a couple of times (from New Zealand!) and the issue wasn't resolved. In the end, she got a refund. My suit was reliable for a few years and then started getting tea bag syndrome in the pelvic area. Still under warranty, it went back for repair and was basically rebuilt as I understand it. Due to a break from diving, I then sold it. In summary, great design, but the fabric issues were unforgivable. This was over 2013-17. I see there is a version 2.0 now and the suits now come with a lifetime warranty. You would assume that this means that they have sorted the problems?
Thanks a lot. Ok, that's definitely sth to consider. I had heard the same from someone in Mexico whom I contacted directly....

Bought an Argonaut 2.0 Stealth. Was quite happy at first but then, 100 dives in, the leaks started. First it was around the inlet valve, then along the seals (the fourth element logo patch on the shoulder even fell off at some point. I was diving recreationally and took good care of the suit. Two buddies of mine had similar issues. Suits bought 2020ish seem to be affected, because a lot of people have older or newer suits without these issues. Maybe a bad batch? But the response was "out of warranty"

I have an Argonaut 2.0 Stealth that was manufactured in 2021. It's sitting at 76 dives right now (rec, tech, cave) with zero issues. Also have a DRIS warranty if things start getting wet.

I have an Argonaut 2.0 Stealth that was manufactured in 2021. It's sitting at 76 dives right now (rec, tech, cave) with zero issues. Also have a DRIS warranty if things start getting wet.
Thanks! Finally a good experience. Good to know! Thanks that you replied to my post!

I'm closing in on 100 dives in my Argonaut Flex. I love it and never had an issue with it. I'll probably get another one in the future when this one is worn out.
Plus, they made me a special orange one!
unknown.png

I'm closing in on 100 dives in my Argonaut Flex. I love it and never had an issue with it. I'll probably get another one in the future when this one is worn out.
Plus, they made me a special orange one!
unknown.png
Dear Aura, wow, that's definitely a great color! And I'm very happy that you only have good experiences with the suit! Thanks for your contribution to my question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom