Expert warns 2016 could see a record number of shark attacks.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed, when I began diving Catalina waters back in the late 1960s, blues were VERY common. You might see dozens of them from the boat on the way to the next dive site and we occasionally played a "game" of counting the blues we saw on the cross-channel boats. A while back local boats stopped doing shark dives out in deep water because even chumming for hours they were lucky to bring in a few blues and possibly a mako or two.

When I was living in Southern California between 2006 and 2009, it seemed that while I never actually saw them alive, I saw far more evidence of white sharks than blues or makos. I saw two mauled sealions, had a researcher from UC Davis drop by to pick up a detached satellite tag that came up off Ship Rock, and got to participate in the necropsies of perhaps half a dozen or more juveniles. By that point white sharks had been protected from hunting for 10-15 years, whereas blues and makos were still open to recreational and commercial take. From what I understand, even the market squid spawning aggregations - which used to attract large numbers of blues off Southern California - aren't yielding many sharks. I think there are still a few tour operators out there trying to get blues and makos, but they certainly don't get the hordes that were the staple of the old documentaries I grew up on in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

One has to wonder what the relationship is between the apex predators in that area. The sealions were almost toast until they were protected in the early 1970s; arguably the white shark population was probably depressed during that time due to the shortage of prey. Now things seem to be flipped - the sealions are at carrying capacity, the white shark population on the Pacific coast is probably up into the low thousands, and the makos and blues seem to be way down.

I know that white populations in Norcal are way up from 30 - 40 years ago. It used to be almost unheard of to see them. Now it's 100% success rate for shark cage dive operators working the Farallons to see them during the fall season. I had a friend who worked on a cage boat, and 6 years ago he told me that every trip out they had them at the cage within minutes. There are even more now and they're bigger.
They've also been seen more frequently by freedivers getting buzzed by them north of the Golden Gate. It used to be that a diver could dive a whole career and never see one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom