Explain this term often used in DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
this reminds me of a Buddhist saying:

only the stroke knows not he is a stroke

wow... i need some munchies

(i think you're 100% dead on)

makes me want to tell someone to go stroke themselves

Actually, the do know but refuse to admit it. DIR-Atlanta nailed its more popularized use by Trey. You have to put this in context, when this term was originally popularized in internet rants it was directed at people that were bragging about doing 300' air dives in independent doubles with poor gas management plans that compensated for this with a my air is my air attitude and thought it was acceptable to ditch their buddy, if they had one. George effectively put a stop to this type of lunacy being popular. While his manner of doing this, which I thought was really funny, was offensive to even a few people that agreed with him, it was also very effective in progressing the sport. So now, the term gets used on people that make poor decisions despite having the proper infomation showing why it is a bad idea. However, since the really stupid stuff is so universally frowned upon now the term is often used to label people for generally much more minor lapses in judgement. People get uspet for being labelled a stroke now for the same reason they did back then - they don't want to admit a particular diving habit is unsafe despite the body count or other evidence to the contrary.

Labelling a new open water diver that looks like a Christmas tree a stroke for doing exactly what his instructor told him to do during his weekend long certification course isn't fair since this diver is a victim of wallectomy.

'walletectomy' is hilarious!

Actually, it should be walletotomy, since the wallet is opened and its contents removed . . . :)

TSandM:
Actually, it should be walletotomy, since the wallet is opened and its contents removed . . . :)
Unfortunately ... as recently demonstrated here in the PNW ... the promotion of unsafe diving practices by an instructor has nothing to do with money. Rather it's a promotion of ego.

"Bragging rights" is the usual motivation behind unsafe behavior ... that, and just not knowing any better ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

well, now that I know more about what a stoke really is, I can tell you that diving with one is what made me rethink diving and when someone approached me about DIR it made a lot of sense to me to go that direction

leah:
Well, I will see what I can do. Out there somewhere is a pic with me and the bun in a shinny wet black wet suit. I was diving a 120 tank on a rocky beach at the lake. My dive buddy Debbie aka Jocasseegirl got out a few seconds before me and got her camera ready and while I was struggling to climb out of the water onto the rocks, I lost my balance with that tank that was heavier than I was used to and there I was in all my glory-giant bun, laying on my side unable to get up laughing looking like a big seal sunning herself with the giant bun!

Oh, you mean THIS picture?? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=66465&cat=534

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom