Explain this term often used in DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leah:
I here this word tossed about a lot on the board. Most the time non DIR people saying that the DIR people will think you are a "stroke" and have heard a couple of DIR say don't be a "stroke".

So define stroke and please tell how the term came to be

Defining a stroke-

http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?u=7339

since he can't answer or even see this forum - that's kinda a low blow. But Jeff would have done the same, so its all good :D

Yeah, this is going to be funny...:D

I'll PM him a copy.

JS1scuba:
A better term than stroke -- Convoluted Buffoonery

That's a good one. But there is nothing quite like 'stroke'.

With the group I dive with and the diving I do, we are often looking for people that we would like to join us on our adventures. Because some of the expeditions we go on are fairly advanced, when discussing potential team mates we use terms like "new", "keen", "inexperienced", "a player", "a wannabe" etc. to sort out who we should invite, for what, and who we should buff and turf. Once in a while someone shows up that is just so wrong on so many levels for what we do. At those times all we need to say is "stroke" and everybody gets what we mean. So for me it's more of an attitude than just convoluted buffoonery, although that's a good sign.

rjack321:
since he can't answer or even see this forum - that's kinda a low blow. But Jeff would have done the same, so its all good :D

I'll tell him about it next time he comes over for fills.

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea; JeffG was my support guy for some 300' dives we did this summer. He was there to save my butt if I needed him and I respect him a lot. He will be my partner on the Sunshine Coast at the end of March when we are doing some 250's . I know he can't see this so if anybody wants to forward this to him go ahead. I would do it myself but I don't want to look like a Brokeback kinda diver.

In my opinion, the word "stroke" carries a lot of baggage with it and unless used in a humorous way (as you've seen it used plenty of times in this thread) comes across as fairly offensive to most people.

It's my understanding through the grapevine and the rumour mill that divers trying to get on the dive team at the WKPP when GI3 was still the Project Director would try and "stroke" his ego to try to get him to allow them on the team. As a result he started referring to all "unsafe divers" as "strokes". The term went downhill from there and if you read the archives of GI3 communications on the Internet you'll get a better understanding of it's evolution.

Christian

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom