Explaining the Technical Wreck Course - Approaches to Advanced Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Explaining the Technical Wreck Course - Approaches to Advanced Wreck Diving. by Andy Davis

A technical wreck (sometimes called 'advanced wreck') course is a pinnacle-level diving course for highly qualified technical divers who wish to penetrate extensively inside of shipwrecks. Whilst the primary skills and drills taught on these courses are identical wherever they are taught, the focus and philosophy of training can vary significantly by region or by individual instructor.

In the article, I will attempt to explain the general components and structure of a technical wreck course, along with my personal interpretation - as a technical wreck instructor - of how I focus and run my courses here in Subic Bay.

scubatechphilippines-sidemount-technical-wreck-13.jpg

Most technical wreck classes are 4-8 days in length, with 2 dives per day. There are 2 dives conducted per day, often lasting in excess of 90 minutes each. There is also theory study in the classroom and lots of skill rehearsals on dry land; especially with regards to guideline drills and line-laying. Students should be in good physical shape for this training, as it demands some diver endurance and durability. Whilst some divers prefer not to prepare for courses with physical conditioning exercise, getting through each training day at a point of exhaustion can lead to degraded learning potential and more inclination for physiological and psychological stress over-loading.

READ MORE.....

Thank you for another informative article. I wish more instructors would take the time you have to lay out in detail not only their courses but other information you have on your website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom