Exploding SPG gauge faces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only a goose would wear a belt AND suspenders... oh wait! :D I've avoided that thread because I giggle whenever I see anyone have both.
I have a good laugh when I see anyone wearing suspenders... usually a hipster or someone whose girth exceeds what a belt can accomodate.

opening the tank valve too quickly can cause damage to something inside a piston regulator first stage
Yeah, the main seat. Some of them were made of a plastic that is easily cracked. Most are made of a more resilient nylon, but caca occurs with stupid regularity and always at the worst possible time. We know it as Murphy's Law, but you should know it was originally Murray's law until that typo at the printers.

Dang !

Dive history, especially in the hinterlands, began many years, perhaps as many as 20 to 30 years after the bubble machine was introduced in SoCal in 1940s

The technique of turning the SPG face away from the diver dates to the first SPG manufactured in the US by Mar Mac here in California in the early 1950s...

Now continue to guess why the SPG would often blow the face out of the SPG.

Sam Miller

I have a good laugh when I see anyone wearing suspenders... usually a hipster or someone whose girth exceeds what a belt can accomodate.
Will my camo bib overalls suffice for a good guffaw??? :D

My 80+ year old father (no longer with us) used to wear suspenders while golfing. Once during his backswing they let go and he did the rodeo clown thing around his knees. It was pretty funny after the cussing. I miss him and wish we could do it again. :)

:hijack:

I've had HP gauge on a near new (to me) O2 Welding reg pop. Popped the glass out. The bourbon tube leaked where it was soldered to the rest of the internals. Filled the gauge housing faster than it could vent. It also popped the rubber plug out the back. I found the glass intact across the room.

I heard it, but did not see it. My hand was still on the valve and I closed it. Then I noticed the glass was missing. Then I gulped when I realized it was the O2.

Off brand stuff I picked up at an auction. Appeared to be new in the box. All of it went into the dumpster.

Tobin

Now continue to guess why the SPG would often blow the face out of the SPG.

Sam Miller

Rapid pressure rise in theory could "diesel" any "fuel" in the gauge. Hard to do these days with the tiny holes in the reg end fitting of the typical HP hose, the pressure just does not rise fast enough.

Poorly vented injection molds sometime do diesel as the hot petroleum based resins are injected into cavities at 3-5KPSI. That can do bad things to molds and or the clamping system of the press.

Tobin

I had a SPG blow up last year in Bonaire.. When turning the tank on... Just a pop... And a blown up plastic gauge housing..

Jim..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom