Exploding Tank in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slamfire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This newspaper is reporting one fatality and one injury after a tank exploded: Joven hondureña muere tras explotar tanque de oxígeno en Utila. Does anybody in Utila have further news?

Translation

Young Honduran Dies After Oxygen Tank Explodes in Utila
09 Enero 2018 / 12:01 PM /
Young girl was identified as Keily Murillo Pineda (15 years of age).
jpeg.jpg

Bay Islands, Honduras

A teenager died instantly after a scuba tank with oxygen exploded in the Utila Keys, Bay Islands. The young girl was identified as Keily Murillo (15 years of age). Another person identified as Newton Diamond was injured in this incident. This person was flown into a medical facility. It is currently not known what are the causes for the explosion of the tank, which was in a boat.

Is the press doing their usual ignorant thing interchanging air for O2?

It was one of the victim’s personal equipment I understand. Almost 100% sure it won’t be an O2 tank just air.

There is a fundraising campaign started for the victims and their families. Please help if you can. Click here to support Newton & Keily Emergency Fund organized by Steven Becker
It’s a dark day on the Cays with this happening - beautiful location, wonderful people and such a tragic accident.

Last edited:
From Utila Search & Rescue:
Yesterday evening,There was an explosion of a dive tank on the Utila Cays,causing Mr Newton Diamond to lose his leg and Keily Pineda whom loss her life.

Mr Newton suffered a massive amount of blood loss and needed to be taken to La Ceiba immediately. Utila is a small island and news travels very fast,and being our airport doesn’t have lights,everyone with a vehicle got together and went up on the airport to shine the way for the airplane to takeoff.
He made it to La Ceiba safe where he was interned in the hospital for surgery. We’re happy to announce that he’s doing good,he will have a long and slow recovery but we have faith that he will be good.

Keily was only 16 years old and she loss her life in this tragic accident. Her family is from the mainland but she’s born and raised on the Utila Cays and her body will be laid to rest here.

We’d like to thank the entire community for coming together when called upon to help in time of need and also a special thanks to Captain Clint Gerner for your rapid response and generous contribution to saving Mr Newton’s life. We will forever be grateful for what you did for our community.

Thank you all.
-Utila 911 team

26230345_10156153075859388_8523659154519983111_n.jpg

Sometimes the bursting disc isn’t enough. Depends on a lot of things. Without a thorough metallurgical exam and inspection of the bursting disc we won’t know for sure. Certainly a very high energy failure - not good :-(

My condolences to all involved. I do not wish downplay the human tragedy of this event but the photo of the ruptured tank, to myself, raises questions. In most of the tank failures that I have heard of over the last few years an older 6351 aluminum alloy tank was involved. With the 6351 tanks I thought that the failure point was in the neck area of the tank. This tank appears to have ruptured at the bottom or mid tank area. Has anyone seen this type of failure previously?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom