Exploding Tank in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were in Curacao last year. Not a single tank was within 5 years of its production date and no vip stickers and no re-stamp certifications. I have posted this before and had some people unhappy that I posted it - but it was true for the shop we did most of our diving from.

None of this illegal/condemned talk has any applicability in Honduras.

The tank in question was recovered by it's original owner from a scrap pile, and I assume the original owner didn't want it sent to said scrap pile in the first place, so who/how did the tank end up in that scrap pile, under who/what authority did that happen ?

The tank in question was recovered by it's original owner from a scrap pile, and I assume the original owner didn't want it sent to said scrap pile in the first place, so who/how did the tank end up in that scrap pile, under who/what authority did that happen ?
Actually, we don't know if he was the original owner. No previous post has said this.

We were in Curacao last year. Not a single tank was within 5 years of its production date and no vip stickers and no re-stamp certifications. I have posted this before and had some people unhappy that I posted it - but it was true for the shop we did most of our diving from.
Hydro aside, the lack of a VIP sticker is not a good indication of a lack of inspection. If, as a shop, I am inspecting and filling my own tanks, why do I need stickers?

Stickers are not even a legal requirement in NA, AFAIK. They are an industry standard and practice in NA, not a legal one.

Last edited:
Read it again. It does not say it was his tank in the dump.

I think it could be interpreted that way, although it could be interpreted your way as well, the post is perhaps a little ambiguous. But that's really beside the main point, it appears the shop has the legal authority to confiscate a tank and put it in the scrap pile, but not the legal authority to drill holes or otherwise render the tank inert from future usage as a scuba tank ? Or was the tank voluntarily surrendered to the dive shop by the original owner, and later stolen from the scrap pile by a different person ? And does the dive shop have any liability for not rendering the tank inert/useless from ever being put back in service ?

Last edited:
I think it could be interpreted that way, although it could be interpreted your way as well, the post is perhaps a little ambiguous.
Agreed

Great discussion guys on cylinder safety. Goes to show, when diving anywhere that you are using rental or Resort gear. Use your judgement and common sense.

Back
Top Bottom