Exposure Protection Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southernshark2.0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I’m from Texas and I going to say first off I hate the cold, but I will be diving in Monterey CA. Anyway do you guys have anything you do to stay warm? I don’t have access to a drysuit which is probably the best choice but any other recommendations I would really appreciate.

Thanks

You're talking about water temps probably in the low 60s. I assume you will have access to a wetsuit. This issue has been discussed over and over on SB. The conclusion is that only you can tell what exposure protection you need. I need a 5mm with hood when temps get down to 70 or so. As I've posted before, I did a dive last year in 81 degree water where the protection used by the folks on the boat ranged from none (bathing suits) to 3mm shorties to 5mm full (me), to one diver in a dry suit. If I were me (and occasionally I am) I would use a 7mm and a hood in 60 degree water. Better yet would be a vested hood and gloves. And I would plan on a short dive :)

First of all congratulations on diving in Monterey! I hate getting cold too! I did all my Monterey dives wet. I was wearing a hood integrated 8/7/6 full wetsuit with a 5 mil vest, 5 mil booties with 3 mil socks (note this can change your fin size) and five mill gloves. If you’ve never worn gloves this thick practice with them, it can be quite different clipping things and handling your computer. Fit is important because leak points are your enemy!

Another way to go is a five mill hooded vest under a seven mil, but make sure that’s not three mill on your head! A thick cold-water hood is key. Some like the farmer John and Jane set up, I never did like that because it was too bulky for me. But that’s even more neoprene on your core.

Dive skins really come into their own with seven mill wetsuits not so much for warmth as for slipping things on and off. Slippery spandex-like long underwear bottoms can substitute for a dive skin, then it’s a lot easier to go to the bathroom. Some people wear pantyhose, others prefer to go bare, some use creame rinse to make skin slippery. No shame in getting buddy assistance with your wetsuit especially that final arm! Or the hood and zipper in an integrated one. For donning the legs turn the suit inside out, get it over your ankles and roll it up your calves, you can’t just put it on like pants. Be seated doing this and those slippery socks help. Getting into the wetsuit is a work out!

When you’re done you’ll feel like the Stay Puff marshmallow Man and you’ll probably be really uncomfortable on the surface, but when you descend wetsuit compression provides immediate relief and flexibility and suddenly you’re glad you wore all that neoprene! If you’ve only done tropical diving your buoyancy is going to swing a LOT with your position in the water column to be prepared for that... basically you just have to really work your BC.

If the water is 60° that’s a warm day...It was often in the 50s, and I mean low 50s when I went diving, and I have seen the number 45° on my dive computer. There is a thermocline below which it gets really cold, that and the light penetration explains why a lot of the best kelp diving is at about 45 feet. You go down to 80 feet, it gets really cold… But so so beautiful, then you go up a little bit higher to get warmer.

Oh the joy of peeing in your wetsuit in Coldwater. Do it once and you will have no shame. All Monterey dive boats smell slightly of pee, and the wetsuit locker on the Channel Islands three day Liveaboards is positively ripe LOL. This is one reason why most dive shops knowingly sell their students a dive skin to wear with the rental wetsuits. If possible avoid dumping your gear in the dunk bin on the dock, instead try to find a hose. If you do dunk, later find a hose and rinse rinse!

Oh the joy of peeing in your wetsuit in Coldwater. Do it once and you will have no shame. All Monterey dive boats smell slightly of pee, and the wetsuit locker on the Channel Islands three day Liveaboards is positively ripe LOL. This is one reason why most dive shops knowingly sell their students a dive skin to wear with the rental wetsuits. If possible avoid dumping your gear in the dunk bin on the dock, instead try to find a hose. If you do dunk, later find a hose and rinse rinse!
Oh I completely agree last year when I dove all I had was a 7mm and when I felt a pee I was like oh thank the lord for this warmth lol

First of all congratulations on diving in Monterey! I hate getting cold too! I did all my Monterey dives wet. I was wearing a hood integrated 8/7/6 full wetsuit with a 5 mil vest, 5 mil booties with 3 mil socks (note this can change your fin size) and five mill gloves. If you’ve never worn gloves this thick practice with them, it can be quite different clipping things and handling your computer. Fit is important because leak points are your enemy!

Another way to go is a five mill hooded vest under a seven mil, but make sure that’s not three mill on your head! A thick cold-water hood is key. Some like the farmer John and Jane set up, I never did like that because it was too bulky for me. But that’s even more neoprene on your core.

Dive skins really come into their own with seven mill wetsuits not so much for warmth as for slipping things on and off. Slippery spandex-like long underwear bottoms can substitute for a dive skin, then it’s a lot easier to go to the bathroom. Some people wear pantyhose, others prefer to go bare, some use creame rinse to make skin slippery. No shame in getting buddy assistance with your wetsuit especially that final arm! Or the hood and zipper in an integrated one. For donning the legs turn the suit inside out, get it over your ankles and roll it up your calves, you can’t just put it on like pants. Be seated doing this and those slippery socks help. Getting into the wetsuit is a work out!

When you’re done you’ll feel like the Stay Puff marshmallow Man and you’ll probably be really uncomfortable on the surface, but when you descend wetsuit compression provides immediate relief and flexibility and suddenly you’re glad you wore all that neoprene! If you’ve only done tropical diving your buoyancy is going to swing a LOT with your position in the water column to be prepared for that... basically you just have to really work your BC.
I’m going to try a vest this year maybe that will help a bunch! Thanks

You're talking about water temps probably in the low 60s. I assume you will have access to a wetsuit. This issue has been discussed over and over on SB. The conclusion is that only you can tell what exposure protection you need. I need a 5mm with hood when temps get down to 70 or so. As I've posted before, I did a dive last year in 81 degree water where the protection used by the folks on the boat ranged from none (bathing suits) to 3mm shorties to 5mm full (me), to one diver in a dry suit. If I were me (and occasionally I am) I would use a 7mm and a hood in 60 degree water. Better yet would be a vested hood and gloves. And I would plan on a short dive :)
Thanks for the tips

Glad to hear you get to come to Monterey and enjoy some beautiful diving. I live just a couple hours from there so that is where my wife and I dive most, in fact we are heading over there this weekend.

I prefer a semi-dry it keeps me plenty warm, sometimes too warm but I like the cold and have a nice layer of "personal insulation" :D My wife is not a fan of the cold and she loves the semi-dry.
This is the one we use Hollis NeoTek Men's Semidry 8/7/6mm Suit

You can also take a look at this thread to find information on Monterey conditions Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Wet, semi, and dry suits are all available for rent in Monterey
Have a great time and keep us posted on how it goes.
when are you planning on going?

This is very far from the truth. Even in Summer, NorCal water is unlikely to be above 60s. OP should assume the water temp to be 50-55, more likely to be on the lower side. If you have a good fitted wetsuit, you can get away with 7mm. A lot of people and OW student do 7mm + 5mm hood vest. A good amount will have 7mm+7mm farmer john + jacket. You will definitely need a thick hood and reasonable thick gloves. Shore dives coldness will be easier to handle. Boat dives need to take into account for wind chill in surface interval. Bring warm water for drinking and towel or jacket for surface.

If possible, definitely rent a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom