Extended Equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aprivetera

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Random question: After learning to dive I am definitely more aware of my ears and equalization when I am out of the water. After finishing today's dive around six hours ago, I can still feel myself equalizing a little bit. What do you think might cause this? No pain or anything. Just wondering.

A

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If equalization in the water were something we could do continuously, as the pressure increases, we would never do any harm to our ears at all. But, in fact, equalization is a discontinuous function -- we go down a few feet until the pressure increases and then we do it. As a result, even if you are careful, you do a little bit of barotrauma to your ears each time you dive. You end up with a little swelling of the tissues of the middle ear and Eustachian tube, and you can recognize the divers in the resort restaurant by the fact that all of them are periodically swallowing with their mouths open . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom