Extremely short-notice trip help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craracer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just found out that I'm off work from the 29th to the 4th, and am looking for a quick trip. I will be flying out of Minneapolis. No flights are available to Roatan. I prefer to stay away from Mexico as I've been there enough for now.

Places I've been: Jamaica, Belize, Roatan, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Aruba.

Doesn't need to be fancy, but need a good dive OP. I will be traveling solo.

My budget is around 2,500+/-US, and naturally I want to spend as much time in the water as I can.

HELP!!

How about the Florida Keys? Key Largo is a good place to grab an inexpensive hotel room and the diving is great and quite reasonable. Give Silent World a call to see what they have going out - great shop.

You should be able to fly into Miami reasonably as well. KL is onlya 90 minute drive from the airport.

Good luck!

Mike

Little Cayman Island Beach Resort - some of the best diving in the Caribbean and fits your budget.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm frantically looking them up right now!

Scuba Club Cozumel.

We had he same situation for the first week of January - went there and really enjoyed it.

Was recommended by RobinT on this board.

:wink:
I prefer to stay away from Mexico as I've been there enough for now.
:wink:

Keep the ideas coming!

Curacao? Better diving than Aruba - probably as easy to get to. Lots of shorediving options, easy entries and at some of the resorts you may be able to find a buddy - others are resorts with diving so not as likely.

Lions Dive, Breezes - full AI, Hilton Curacao - all have an Ocean Encounters shop on site. We dove with them and also shore dove at OEWest (same outfit) in Westpunt.

Or the Curacao Marriott with Caribbbean Sea Sports who I've never used. The Marriott is just much nicer than the Hilton. Finding a buddy might be more difficult at any other than Lions Dive.

If you can get into Curacao by about 4PM, Bonaire is also an option. Short cheap flights over and back on Insel Air, Dutch Antilles Express

Stay at Buddy Dive, Capt' Dons Habitat, Den Laman / Sand Dollar condos, (look on vrbo.com) the Divi Flamingo, the Plaza Resort - finding a buddy shouldn't be much of a problem at any of them - except maybe the Plaza. All have on-site diveops also. The Divi is in town (close enough to walk to shops/food etc), the first 4 are north of town but (basically) adjacent to each other - the Plaza is a little south of town.

St Thomas isn't bad either. Maybe Bolongo Bay/St. Thomas Diving Club? There's also the Divi Carina on St. Croix - IDK anything about either. AA flies to either - look them up on AA.com as they've recently been dropped from Orbitz, Travelocity etc. St. Thomas is a little pricier.

Divetech or Sunset House on Grand Cayman are the two AI's. At Divetech you'll want a car it's pretty far north. Sunset House is walking distance to Georgetown when you get tired of their restaurant. Pretty much everybody at My Bar there is probably a diver.

Use this for most/all of your flight options. You just have to book with the airline or someone else.
Matrix - ITA Software

[-]watch this list for the next 5mins, I'm backfilling links as we post. [/-] Done - Good luck...

Last edited:
Bonaire or Curacao are good options ..I have stayed at Habitat on both islands dive ops are good...but Bonaire is all about shore diving.....I have heard very good reports about Buddy Dive Resort on Bonaire as well

I checked with Cobalt Coast (Divetech), and they wanted $2410.00 for the 6 days, so I scratched them off the list.

I'll call Sunset House in the morning to check for availability.

Checking on Bonaire right now. The issue is that I'm going solo.

Bonaire is out. The only flights are on Saturdays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom