Eye Hemorrhage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry about the detachment but pleased to read it was virtuous.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself, lol)

I've had the vitreous detachment too. First eye was on a Belize diving trip. I kept swatting at a pesky little black bug that wouldn't leave me be. It took a couple of days to realize that it was my eye. I've since had it in the other eye as well and have been on innumerable dive trips since the beginning of this. Yes, twas scary initially and certainly remains annoying to this day.

Anyway, sorry, probably not helpful.

@Diver4242 , what's the latest please?

... Folks are reporting exceptionally clear visibility!

Yesterday, the viz was better than it's been all year...except for, maybe, April. Haven't seen it so clear since last year's New Year's Eve dive. Amazing how quickly it clears up once the dreaded algae blooms die off.

:rofl3: I wouldn’t last half a day on the job as a proof reader!

Most of my adult life I’ve had significant floaters and it was worse with this but what made me realize something was different were arcs of light when I looked to the side.

Actually it's interesting that you mention that. I've always had floaters, those are benign and common I believe. But I now recall that I've been seeing arcs of light quite prominently. I'll need to mention that to my doc as well. Is that a symptom of this type of hemorrhage?

Actually it's interesting that you mention that. I've always had floaters, those are benign and common I believe. But I now recall that I've been seeing arcs of light quite prominently. I'll need to mention that to my doc as well. Is that a symptom of this type of hemorrhage?
Well beyond my scope but yes floaters are pretty common, especially as we get older or with significant near vision. Flashers too can be more common with age. But a change from “normal” should always be checked since tears/detachments can cause both. Flashers or lightening images can occur when the retina or VITREOUS detach and this can also result in more floaters. Once again age and significant near vision place one at increased risk.

I have heard of splinter hemorrhages but have nothing to offer beyond what anyone can google. Speaking of which, I read that a strong valsalva (don’t recall if it was mentioned up thread) can cause a hemorrhage within the eye as well surface (subconjunctival) but I would think that there would need to be some underlying pathology for this to happen.

I *think* with most issues that cause a simple isolated hemorrhage there will be no noticeable symptoms or vision changes.

I read that a strong valsalva (don’t recall if it was mentioned up thread) can cause a hemorrhage within the eye
I can vouch for that. Years ago I posted a thread about 'blowing an ear'. A bit later, my eye doc noticed a hemorrhaged capillary in one eye.
I *think* with most issues that cause a simple isolated hemorrhage there will be no noticeable symptoms or vision changes.
Yep, no issues other than a bit of difficulty when doing really close work.

I found a way to visualize the damage. Open a new text document on your laptop and leave it blank. Maximize the blank page. Close both eyes and wait about 5 seconds. Open the affected eye and look for a grayish spot. Open the other eye and it will immediately disappear as your brain fills in the loss with info from your other eye.

My brain will not do they work. My "black" floaters from the detachment are always there, flitting about, hence the annoyance.

The flashes are new detachments.

My brain will not do they work. My "black" floaters from the detachment are always there, flitting about, hence the annoyance.

The flashes are new detachments.
I had one particularly large floater after the detachment and right in my line of vision. Eye doc hoped it would settle lower with time but no such luck so last visit she suggested laser surgery. Still thinking...

Looking in a microscope can be a real challenge. :rolleyes:

I had one particularly large floater after the detachment and right in my line of vision. Eye doc hoped it would settle lower with time but no such luck so last visit she suggested laser surgery. Still thinking...

Looking in a microscope can be a real challenge. :rolleyes:

None of my eye docs have suggested anything like that but then I don't have to look into microscopes.

uncfnp,
You might try rapidly looking up and down with your eye. Sometimes this can get the floater to move to either a slightly higher or lower plane in your visual field. Most of the time we move our eyes side to side, so floaters in the vitreous can settle into a particular plane. This can be more pronounced as we age and our vitreous liquifies a bit or a posterior vitreous detachment occurs.

Slightly offsetting your gaze may also help.

About flashes and floaters. Having a few floaters is a normal occurrence, especially if you are myopic (nearsighted) and as one ages. Seeing some mild flashes or arcs of light, especially in a dark room, can be due to a pending vitreous detachment.

A significant batch of floaters; or sudden occurrence of flashes of light, perceived in a bright room; or the appearance of floating peripheral shadows should be IMMEDIATELY checked out by an ophthalmologist. Especially if you are myopic. Those are signs of a detachment.

A batch of floaters can also indicate a retinal hemorrhage, especially if one suffers from diabetes. You should get yourself tested for diabetes regularly. The last thing you want is to have your ophthalmologist or optometrist make the diagnosis because you developed diabetic retinopathy.

Any change in your visual acuity should be checked out. Checking the visual acuity in each eye should also be performed. You may isolate a nascent problem or realize you have been accommodating for a problem with your good eye.

uncfnp,
You might try rapidly looking up and down with your eye. Sometimes this can get the floater to move to either a slightly higher or lower plane in your visual field. Most of the time we move our eyes side to side, so floaters in the vitreous can settle into a particular plane. This can be more pronounced as we age and our vitreous liquifies a bit or a posterior vitreous detachment occurs.

Slightly offsetting your gaze may also help.
Interesting. When I look side to side they move but slowing float back toward center. But are you saying that if I make an effort to look up and down throughout the day it will help move the floater away from center and stay there? Or just a temporary effect?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom