Eyelid surgery and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are leaving for Bonaire in 3 weeks. I've developed a cyst under my eyelid that may require minor surgery. The incision would be under the eyelid and less than 3 mm, just enough to drain the cyst (it's called a chalazion) My opthamoligist doesn't know anything about diving and can't advise on a time limit to be out of the water.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to delay the surgery or get it done next week. Is there an average time to dive recommendation for any surgical procedure or does it depend on how invasive it is?

Reach out to DDM...Duke Diving Medicine

I am not a hyperbaric medicine expert but am an MD and have personally had a Chalazion excised. I had a patch on for 24 hrs and was a bit uncomfortable for a few days but was able to work after 48h and went diving without incident at 3 weeks. I'm interested in hearing from DDM as to whether I was taking any risk.

We are leaving for Bonaire in 3 weeks. I've developed a cyst under my eyelid that may require minor surgery. The incision would be under the eyelid and less than 3 mm, just enough to drain the cyst (it's called a chalazion) My opthamoligist doesn't know anything about diving and can't advise on a time limit to be out of the water.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to delay the surgery or get it done next week. Is there an average time to dive recommendation for any surgical procedure or does it depend on how invasive it is?

@Duke Dive Medicine would appreciate your input:)

Hi Lynne,

Potential risks are infection and disruption of the surgical site in the event of face mask barotrauma. Risk for infection can be mitigated by not diving until the incision has healed completely (I'm not sure how long that takes for removal of chalazia, your MD should be able to tell you) and avoiding direct contact with the water you're diving in. Face mask barotrauma can be avoided by ensuring that you exhale into your mask through your nose to equalize the space in there. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Lynne,

Potential risks are infection and disruption of the surgical site in the event of face mask barotrauma. Risk for infection can be mitigated by not diving until the incision has healed completely (I'm not sure how long that takes for removal of chalazia, your MD should be able to tell you) and avoiding direct contact with the water you're diving in. Face mask barotrauma can be avoided by ensuring that you exhale into your mask through your nose to equalize the space in there. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you! Really appreciate your input!

FYI- In case anyone else runs into this. Surgery to remove a Chalazion is minor. Incision heals in 2 weeks. Diving is fine after that.

Thanks, everyone for your help!

Here's my two cents as a physician who does a lot of reconstructive surgery on the eyelid area, and the occasional chalazion removal. Considering there shouldn't be any air pocket inside the incision, there should be minimal risk to the incision. Typically a small incision in that area would be well healed by one to two weeks. Of course, I would go by what your physician recommends specifically for you, but for my own typical patient I would be fine with them diving at one or at most two weeks postoperatively. I would, however, be concerned if a patient has an open wound and is getting into waters infested with Vibrio (flesh eating bacteria), like the Gulf waters around here.

Back
Top Bottom