Eyes Open, Eyes Shut: Your Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK.............just figured it out.............DAAAAAAAAAA

I was trying to be specific about particular confined water skills, but I guess no one read it that way.

For example, in addition to the two mask drills I mentioned in my previous post, there is also no mask breathing & a no mask swim.

While a student MAY be able to get by doing no mask breathing with their eyes shut, they definitely wouldn't be able to do the no mask swim that way. Especially since the latter skill has a distance, as opposed to time, requirement.

IOW, there is a definite learning curve where "easy" tasks "introduce" the student to the skills, which then progress in difficulty until they are fully acclimitized to being u/w. Thus, by the time they are doing the no mask swim, they have no problems with having their eyes open underwater.

Note: the skills I mentioned refer to the PADI OW course.

Does this clear things up at all?

~SubMariner~

SubMariner once bubbled...

they definitely wouldn't be able to do the no mask swim that way. Especially since the latter skill has a distance, as opposed to time, requirement.

Not a good thing to deal in absolutes there Sub. I, being a PADI OW dude, did my no mask swim with my eyes closed, as did a number of others who wore contacts. As I did my OW in open ocean, I also didn't have the benefit of chlorine.

As far as things you can't do with your eyes closed (i.e. no vision), you might wanna check out the IANTD tech courses to see how many things you do that are timed, in openwater, with doubles, cold, etc etc. while not being able to see past your facemask. Assuming you have one on of course. And that says nothing, I'm sure, to what the cave crowd does ('course, you gotta be kinda wacko to dive in a cave anyhow:) )

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...

('course, you gotta be kinda wacko to dive in a cave anyhow:) )

MD

Hey watch it!:nono:

As far as things you can't do with your eyes closed (i.e. no vision), you might wanna check out the IANTD tech courses to see how many things you do that are timed, in openwater, with doubles, cold,
I'm sure you realize that 0 or low vis is different than being u/w without a mask. Again, I was referring to specific skills.

I, being a PADI OW dude, did my no mask swim with my eyes closed, as did a number of others who wore contacts
That may well be. None of my students have done the no-mask swim with their eyes closed.

FYI: I learned to dive with contacts and used them up until 1998, when I got to the "bifocal stage" of life. The likelihood of lenses being lost underwater while doing a no mask exercise is highly unlikely.

~SubMariner~

SubMariner once bubbled...
That may well be. None of my students have done the no-mask swim with their eyes closed.

Now that I understand where you're going I would fully agree, sounds like a good approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom