F-18 wreck off San Diego, CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to bug you but do you have any directions to see the F4U Corsair off crystal cove? My friend and I have been trying to find this plane forever with no luck. Anything you could tell me would be cool.

Thanks,

Scubamark13

mike_s:
An interesting note about that ship, I think the CIA contracted with Howard Hughes to provide the recovery ship. They have video footage of the recovery and the "at sea" burial of the 6 Russian crew members. I think this footage has been declassified now as it's been 25 years (by default).

Yes the PBS program pointed to by the other poster is worth watching, IMO.
Probably the world's biggest con game :wink:

FRYN13:
Sorry to bug you but do you have any directions to see the F4U Corsair off crystal cove? My friend and I have been trying to find this plane forever with no luck. Anything you could tell me would be cool.

Thanks,

Scubamark13

I do have the coordinates, but I can't just give them out to anybody. They are top secret classified information. You would have to take me out on your boat to interrogate me... *batting eyelashes*

:gr1:

FRYN13:

Thanks,

Scubamark13
No directions, but lots of info and pictures.

http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/F4U1.htm

MaxBottomtime:
No directions, but lots of info and pictures.

http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/F4U1.htm

"After a sucessful water landing, the plane began to sink immediately. He inflated his Mae West, but had to deflate one side in order to release his harness and left his parachute in the plane. Fortunately, he escaped without injury and was picked up minutes later from a shore launch."

LOL, at first I thought he had an inflatable Mae West doll in his cockpit :wink:
http://www.wfu.edu/~jonegb2/csc101/fys100/maewest.htm

Thanks for the links and pictures they are cool. I at least now know what to expect when I do find it, which I will do!

Thanks

Mark

If you are willing to travel a great distance, go to Island Bikini where the Atomic Bomb was set off, I believe, in 1946. Forgive me if I'm wrong with the date. But anyways, when it was set off, we destroyed a couple of subs, an aircraft carrier, and a few battleships. They were all U.S. and Japanese I think. If you don't know where Island Bikini is, it's in the Pacific Ocean in between the U.S. and Japan. I'd love to go wreck dive there, however; I would still be afraid of radioactivity in the water, even though some people have dived it. I'd definetly think about going there one day!

Make sure to give your respects to the Red, White, and Blue!
usa.gif
salute.gif

And while you're there, make sure to also thank them for the biggest coral reef blow-up in history, destroying hundreds of square miles of pristine ocean and rendering inhospitable the homelands of the people who actually lived there as opposed to the red, white 'n' blue who felt the need to show the world how destructive they were - but not in their backyard...

If you are willing to travel a great distance, go to Island Bikini where the Atomic Bomb was set off, I believe, in 1946. Forgive me if I'm wrong with the date. But anyways, when it was set off, we destroyed a couple of subs, an aircraft carrier, and a few battleships. They were all U.S. and Japanese I think. If you don't know where Island Bikini is, it's in the Pacific Ocean in between the U.S. and Japan. I'd love to go wreck dive there, however; I would still be afraid of radioactivity in the water, even though some people have dived it. I'd definetly think about going there one day!

i really hope to have the skills to dive that site some day, i've seen some documentaries and the sites are almost pristine and look like amazing dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom