Faber 100's vs. X7's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How do the Faber 100's, used as doubles, fare against the X7 100's/PST 100's?

I would say weight and corrosion protection favors Worthington, freedom from special hydro instructions favors Faber. If you are diving fresh water and are 6’4” of solid muscle Fabers might win. On the other hand, 5’4” in the North Atlantic, Worthington probably gets the sale. To suggest any more depends a lot on you, your suit/gear configuration, and diving you intend to do.

Thanks Akimbo. I already have multiple sets of X7's and frequently use PST 100's. But there's a fair number of tech divers around here that favor Faber but I haven't yet asked them why. I'm near Los Angeles. I'll just stick with X7's on my next set of dubs.

The Faber 3180+ 100s are stupidly heavy, and can lose their + rating. On the other hand, I've never heard of any of them missing the +, and I'd love to take another like 10# off my belt.

I like my PST 100 better than my X7. The X7 balance just feels different when diving it and I usually have to use 2 extra pounds with it so I don't get light at the end of the dive. But I will probably end up getting a few more X7's for doubles some day.

I like my PST 100 better than my X7. The X7 balance just feels different when diving it and I usually have to use 2 extra pounds with it so I don't get light at the end of the dive. But I will probably end up getting a few more X7's for doubles some day.

You can probably find a sweet spot somewhere on the X7s for 2 Lbs of lead to get close to the trim characteristics of the PSTs. That way you don’t have to change weight or put up with less desirable balance.

Interesting, the X7 100's are -2.5 empty and the PST's are -1.3 (lighter). I find myself having to add weight for the PST's but I'll admit, they trim out better so I prefer them but they are hard to get ahold of for personal ownership.

I used to have a set of X7-100s, but then sold them and went to Faber FX100s. The best descision I ever made. I will never own another set of Worthys. I have descided to keep the reason to myself, because if I said, I would get flamed. Oh yeah, just got another set of Faber's in the mail today.

Back
Top Bottom