Failed first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing more to add except that you mentioned that you noticed the problem after you exhaled. In most cases, that is when you find that your regulator is not working and and you have a problem. It is the way I explain to new divers.. I tell them to exhale and then look for their buddy. You did a great job in staying close. Most are not as close to their buddy.

Glad to hear it all worked out. Keeping a buddy a couple fin kicks Away isalways a good choice when diving on one single system. Masks are a small cost. Usually the very first thing someone purchased. Second might be a computer. And third should be their own regs. Don’t buy cheap. Don’t buy used unless they are a high quality set and then you must have them serviced by a great service guy. All of my regs are always serviced by a shop owner who is a fellow cave diver and happens also to be a IDC. I is the one piece of gear that is most responsible for keeping you alive. Yes the BCD is high on the list for fill and dump but the regs are higher on the list.

I did dive 44 years without a computer. Why you place it BEFORE owning your own regulators (two, not just one)?

I bought the computer primarily because I wanted the logging - I'm interested in being able to look back at that sort of detailed data about a dive. Secondary reasons for it being next on the purchase list were that rental ones were frustrating to use (new interface each time, random extra data on there) and because they're easy to travel with and don't require much maintenance. Until this trip, I'd not had a bad experience with a reg - had I, a reg would have come first and is absolutely next on my to-buy list now.

SeaRat - Thanks for the info! Can you recommend any books or other sources for learning more about how they work and how to maintain them? I don't think I'll ever be sure about what model the reg was, unfortunately.

I did dive 44 years without a computer. Why you place it BEFORE owning your own regulators (two, not just one)?
You won't be allowed to dive with an operator without one eg. Philippines

You won't be allowed to dive with an operator without one eg. Philippines
???
Even if I am the instructor and I am responsible for the group?
Is this a government requirement?
I know that in some countries (for example Maldives) every diver must be equipped with some sort of BCD, but the goal is to ensure you can float on surface if lost from the boat, hence a normal life vest could be enough.
I also know that in some countries deco is forbidden, but this is very difficult to enforce.

???
Even if I am the instructor and I am responsible for the group?
Is this a government requirement?
I know that in some countries (for example Maldives) every diver must be equipped with some sort of BCD, but the goal is to ensure you can float on surface if lost from the boat, hence a normal life vest could be enough.
I also know that in some countries deco is forbidden, but this is very difficult to enforce.
By LAW. period
How to enforce it is down to the operator! Two different matters.

By LAW. period
How to enforce it is down to the operator! Two different matters.
Very interesting. Any reference to read? Minimum requirement for the computer?
Does a simple digital time and depth logger count as a computer?
Or must it be capable of computing deco stops?
I currently own a Cressi Leonardo (the cheapest I found, 99 eur), which can be operated as a simple depth meter and time meter.
Is this allowed, or does the law require the computer to be used as an automatic deco planner?
Sorry for derailing off-topic...

If you are in your forties and older and you are morbidly obese and the majority of Americans are such..

I doubt that. From the International Journal of Obesity: "Clinically severe or morbid obesity (BMI over 40 or 50)...Adjusting for self-report biases, we estimate that in 2010 15.5 million adult Americans or 6.6 percent of the population had an actual BMI over 40."

Back
Top Bottom