Failed Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if it passes maybe publish the shop name that failed it here and hopefully they can explain.......or get more training ..........it might be they have a bad operator who can get more training ...

Dialog in court: Attorney representing the dead technician to Hydro shop owner: "So you knowingly placed a failed steel tank in your test machine"?

if it passes maybe publish the shop name that failed it here and hopefully they can explain.......or get more training ..........it might be they have a bad operator who can get more training ...

I took it directly to the hydro shop that they all use.

I don't like "bad mouthing" places, but if it saves someone's tanks I'll be happy to. And it's not so much the LDS as they just "take it to the hydro shop"....but you would think that by now they would know something is up if they have more fails than normal.

All dependent on if my tank passes or not. I don't really want to throw out any names in case it fails.... (although I think I've mentioned all of them in this thread).

Hopefully along the way I can get the hydro shop to change their ways and save some tanks....but I highly doubt it. Scuba is not their main income.

Dialog in court: Attorney representing the dead technician to Hydro shop owner: "So you knowingly placed a failed steel tank in your test machine"?

Why would that matter? A failed tank put through a hydro test can't "explode". I don't understand?

Edit: from my limited understanding the "worst" that can happen during a hydro test is that it won't hold water pressure and they watch it go down... I don't know if all places are the same, but the 2 places I have been dealing with use water in the cylinder and a water jacket outside.... there is absolutely no chance of anything happening beside a water pressure drop on a gauge.

Why would that matter? A failed tank put through a hydro test can't "explode". I don't understand.

That’s why it is a “hydrostatic” test. What makes scuba tanks dangerous is they are filled with highly compressed *gas*. It acts like an incredibly massive and powerful spring. When a tank ruptures, all that spring energy is released violently. And there’s nothing outside of the tank to absorb all of that violently released energy.

In a hydrostatic test, there’s water inside the tank. The water inside the tank is under pressure, but it’s not compressed like a spring. So when it lets go, there’s very little spring force behind it. And, of course, the tank is put into a an environment designed to absorb the much reduced energy that is released if tank were to let go.

after all, it would be really silly to create a test environment that is designed to stress tanks beyond their normal operating environment and then not design it to deal with the repercussions. :)

Hydraulic, not pneumatic, pressurization in a chamber designed for testing things that could fail "catastrophically" ...

Not seeing it.

I know Alec, have dived with him at vintage diving events.

Hydraulic, not pneumatic, pressurization in a chamber designed for testing things that could fail "catastrophically" ...

Not seeing it.

I know. Can’t help it. My wife is a PI attorney. This stuff puts my kids through college.

Wasn't there a The Great Dive Podcast about "The $*@%ing Lawyers".... at least I think, lol. If there's not there should be!

@tridacna no offense to your wife, all in good fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom