Fairly new divers thinking of Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turtlegurl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
My husband and I are thinking of diving in Florida in late Dec.-Early Jan. but have never been. We've looked on the PADI website and others but would love to get opinions on where to go and what to see while we are there. Anything else we should know about diving in Florida?

That time of year I would scope out the keys
Possibly John Pennacamp state park. Water will be on the cooler side.

I would hit up the springs during the week as they would be less crowded. Also constant temperatures around 70. Some ideas would be Blue Grotto, Devils Den, Paradise and Ginnie Springs which are all located in central Florida.

That time of year I would scope out the keys
Possibly John Pennacamp state park. Water will be on the cooler side.

This. I hear Key Largo is especially good for newer divers. Nice shallow reefs. Rainbow Reef puts free guides in the water. Might be a nice option for you.

This. I hear Key Largo is especially good for newer divers. Nice shallow reefers. Rainbow Reef puts free guides in the water. Might be a nice option for you.

Yup. I dove with Rainbow Reef early this past January. They’re a great outfit and there’s plenty of beginner friendly diving around Key Largo.

The water was 74-76*. I was comfortable in a 3mm, but most of the locals were diving 5mm suits.

Check out Lauderdale by the Sea (LBTS), Pompano Beach, and Blue Heron Bridge too. I was not able to hit BHB (did not time it right). I can’t wait to get back down there next January.

For what it’s worth...the Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area is a MUCH better bang for your buck than they Keys. You can easily get a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for less than $100/night that time of year. That and you can save some $$$ by diving off the beach at LBTS.

Later, once you've got more experience and are comfortable with deeper dives and some current, be aware that time of year might offer you lemon sharks out of Jupiter, Florida. Back it up to around August or September and you'd be looking at the Goliath grouper aggregation. Florida has quite a variety of diving options.

Richard.

The winter time here tends to bring bigger waves and cooler water temps but as a result viz tends to be better. Those are generalizations and on any given day some or all of things could be false. My personal preference would be to dive Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Boynton Beach or the Blue Heron Bridge. No offence to the Keys, I just got really sick both times I went during the winter because of the surge.

Later, once you've got more experience and are comfortable with deeper dives and some current, be aware that time of year might offer you lemon sharks out of Jupiter, Florida. Back it up to around August or September and you'd be looking at the Goliath grouper aggregation. Florida has quite a variety of diving options.

Richard.
We were recently certified as Advanced Open Water and did a drift and deep dive in Cozumel without issue. Think we could do the Jupiter, Florida dive?

Yup. I dove with Rainbow Reef early this past January. They’re a great outfit and there’s plenty of beginner friendly diving around Key Largo.

The water was 74-76*. I was comfortable in a 3mm, but most of the locals were diving 5mm suits.

Check out Lauderdale by the Sea (LBTS), Pompano Beach, and Blue Heron Bridge too. I was not able to hit BHB (did not time it right). I can’t wait to get back down there next January.

For what it’s worth...the Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area is a MUCH better bang for your buck than they Keys. You can easily get a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for less than $100/night that time of year. That and you can save some $$$ by diving off the beach at LBTS.
Thanks for the details! I was certified in Lake Tahoe at about 50* so the 74-76* in a 3mm should work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom