Fakarava/Rangiroa trip report/the other stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kneptoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hope I can answer typical questions about this trip that I would ask. We stayed in the Airport Hotel our first night before flying out to Fakarava the next morning. As you exit the terminal its the hotel across the street(s) and highway. You can walk there or take a taxi for $20. We took the taxi and walked back in the morning. It is just a nearby room with a bed and shower.
I have read a lot of complaints regarding Air Tahiti. We had 3 flights with them, all left on time, arrived on time, no problems. United should send their people over there and see how they do it. There is a checked baggage limit of 20 kilos. I bought a travel BC and substituted fins, etc to shave about 15 lbs off my gear. They do weigh the check in and if your carry on looks heavy they will weigh it as well. I was a little over there and they let it slide.
In North Fakarava we stayed at VekeVeke Village. We had a rustic bungalow about 20' from the water. This was the most basic of our accommodations and was problematic for my wife. There are no window screens, AC, TV in any of the places we stayed. I would probably look for a different place next time. There is an exceptional lunch spot next door. The food at VekeVeke was fine.
I have already mentioned our experience with Top Dive in Fakarava. I would use Dive Spirit next time. I will say that I ran into a lot of divers who used Top Dive on both islands and no one had any complaints. I had a discount pass for 10 o/o off with Top Dive that was current and they wouldn't honor it.
June is the cool dry season, it is also the windiest season. For the hour and half boat ride from North Fakarava to the South this was a pretty uncomfortable passage. Here we stayed at Tetamanu Village in a bungalow that overhung the water of the pass. Truly a beautiful spot watching the sun set off the deck across the lagoon. I love Tetamanu Village. Though we were the only Americans and non French speaking divers we met, we felt at home at this family style dining table. The food was fantastic and abundant. Guests and employees dine together 3 times a day. Anabelle the owner is really amazing, a force of nature unto herself. The dive operation is on site and the dive guide Clemo was very good, safe and pleasant. We vowed to return next year as the speed boat took us back to the airport for the trip to Rangiroa.

On Rangiroa we stayed in Relais Josephine in a beautiful bungalow overlooking Tiputu Pass. From the deck you can have a beer and watch the dolphins jump the waves in the out going tide. Here again the only English speaking guests. The bungalow and common area are beautifully done, very much the French feminine touch. Also, our first hot water in a week. The food was very French with a Polynesian twist and very good and abundant. Breakfast and dinner only included. There are 2 good restaurants within a short walk and 2 markets for all your needs. Try Chez Lilli for lunch by the pier.

We dove with 6 Passengers for the week. This is a fantastic operation. Very organized and focused on intelligent groupings of divers. We had only instructors or dive masters in our group, so there was not the problem encountered with Top Dive's "one dive fits all". Frank/Pitou one of the operators is one of the finest, safest guides I have encountered. Their rental gear is all very good and well maintained as well. My wife ended up using their regulator rig.
This whole thing about shorties and no wet suits. The water temp was always around 81F. The dive guides dive in doubled up 3mm, Pitou dives a 7mm semi dry. I dove a 3mm with 3mm vest and beanie. I was comfortable. My wife dove just a 3mm. Nothing but accolades for this operation.

Costs: I estimated accommodations, inter island air, food and diving to be about $2500-2800 per week.(not including LAX-Papeete which I was fortunate to do on air miles) So about on par with lower end live aboard prices. Everything is paid for in Tahitian francs and good luck trying to exchange them on your way out of the country, beware. All of the diving and pensions accepted credit cards
The only unfortunate occurrence was that my wife's wallet was emptied of $600 our last morning at Relais Josephines. Regarding the circumstances of the theft there is no doubt that it was done by an employee. We have filed a report with the Rangiroa police. This is double the loss as Josephine's is a gem and I truly hated having been left with a negative farewell. If there is a resolution to this I will post at a later date. We love Rangiroa and Fakarava and look forward to another trip there in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom