• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

FAKE NEWS!!--PADI to be sold once again

Discussion in 'Scuba Industry News' started by Efka76, Jul 2, 2018.

1. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Well, at least they've got their eye on the future with new courses and classes being created. Attach10583_20180424_095852.jpg

scubadada, CMS, Darcy Kieran and 2 others like this.
  2. Birddog1911

Birddog1911 Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    BoulderJohn summed up my points perfectly. Sorry, been busy with work, so hadn't gotten back to the site. I don't have the numbers, but I know that it was hurting the shop where I teach. I know that the 3 largest shops in CO, and I believe even more, have left PADI due directly to travel, and to a smaller extent, something to do with direct sales of training to students. I'm not involved in that part, I just know what people have said at our shop.

3. Birddog1911

Birddog1911 Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I can tell you that the owner of our shop said one of the biggest reasons we became affiliated with SSI is because they are not involved in travel; they leave that to the shop.

4. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I recently got an explanation of their thinking on this issue. When they send in the certification information for a new diver, they are sending in the contact information for that individual. That individual is a potential travel customer for them, but that individual will be getting direct travel solicitations from PADI now that they are in the travel business. If they instead certify their potential travel customers through a different agency, then PADI will not have that contact information and will not be sending dive travel solicitations.

5. Edward3c

Edward3c Instructor, Scuba

If PADI do that in Europe they will be in breach of the GDPR and be liable for a fine of €20M or 4% of global turnover (whichever is the greater).

6. OWDiver3

OWDiver3 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    It seems pretty typical for these buyouts and mergers to look first toward maximizing profitability before going back to a customer-oriented business model. Hopefully it doesn't disrupt the market too much. Seems like time will tell how this one unfolds...

7. Rhone Man

Rhone Man Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I am not sure that is correct. This is not the thread to discuss GDPR (which is hugely boring) but PADI are allowed to communicate with people if they have a "legitimate interest" in those people, and customers are generally treated as being subject of a legitimate interest for businesses marketing related products and services.

GDPR is far from being the anti-spam device that it is sometimes marketed as.

Pweintz likes this.
  8. Scottsfire

Scottsfire Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    You must be with a certain shop located at Bellview Ave. I heard one of my instructors whispering about this at the aquarium. :)

9. Scottsfire

Scottsfire Angel Fish

After getting my OW cert (last year-rookie) I got back home and went to every dive shop in the Denver area. Unfortunately, I went threw all the bad ones first and was about to give up until I looked at my wife and said "Just one more shop". 15 minutes later I walked into what I thought was the mecca of the dive shop world.....A1 Scuba and Travel. It truly was/is one stop shopping with travel, pool, employees who are not snobby, and exciting destination photos all over the walls. I decided it was "MY" home shop! If keeping mecca alive means leaving Padi....so be it! SSI here we come :)

10. Scottsfire

Scottsfire Angel Fish

So, let me ask this question...because this thread has me thinking. Is Padi going to start buying up online cloud based log book sites? If Padi is allegedly going to use Padi certification registrations as new travel solicitation opportunities, could they already be buying up cloud based online log book sites? Back in July I joined logbook.diviac.com and found it free access super cool. I cruised around the site and thought it was really innovative....so I joined, payed the $15 annual fee. Last month I started noticing that almost all of its advertising and pathways some how lead me to Padi Travel. The support became less responsive and it was as if someone turned off the lights and left the room! The site seems to just be dead right now. What do you guys think?