Fall and winter weather for Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have an opportunity for free lodging and diving on Little Cayman this Fall, but will need to go sometime in September through mid-December. Obviously, Sept, Oct and most of Nov are hurricane season, and December can have nortes and generally cool and wet weather. I have done a search here and looked at what I cold find, but still uncertain.

I have been to Little Cayman before, but not in the Fall or Winter. Any input on these months would be appreciated. Would buy trip insurance for the airfare, but really just want to maximize my chances of nice diving for a week.

Sorry...not sure how this got posted twice. Mod please delete.

I have been in early December (1st week) and we had outstanding weather. As mentioned, winds from the north can occur. We were fortunate to have really great conditions and the water temp was a consistent 81 degrees.

Spent the last 2 weeks of January there in 2018. Weather was 80-81 for the high each day. Brief rain in aftn a few days but generally wonderful weather. NE wind did not allow diving the north side (bloody bay wall) for the week before us and several days after us. We had 5 straight days of diving the north side. Guides indicated 5 days in a row was not so normal during winter. Call Little Cayman Beach Resort directly and ask about weather when you are coming. You might not need to mention you will be staying somewhere else.

November is the end of hurricane season and things should be winding down (though lately seems you can never be sure.) And yeah the weather could be fine or crappy as you get towards late November into December. We've had good weather on 2 mid-Dec trips, but I know someone that never saw the sun on a late Nov trip. It really depends if you want to gamble on the chance (no idea what the chance really is) of yucky weather of early winter. Or the lesser but yuckier chance of a tropical storm or hurricane. How far in advance do you need to decide? (Insurance may cover a named storm and other things, but not "yucky". For me that's one I'd self insure. Cayman airfare is usually not bad, and if worst comes to worst you can probably reuse the ticket value for a change fee.

Personally I lean towards second half of October because I figure it's at least past much of hurricane season and the weather otherwise tends to be very nice then. But also partly because my fall outdoor activities at home tend to tail off by then.

With free lodging and diving, it sounds like all you are risking $ wise is the airfare. I would lean towards Sept-Oct and review carefully and then purchase insurance for the airfare in the event of a significant tropical event. Northers in Dec can wipe out your diving and will not likely be a basis to cancel or cover with insurance. From what I have read, diving in LC Sept/Oct can be spectacular so long as there is no big tropical event and if there is you are more likely to be covered with insurance. Its a gamble either way but I think there is a better upside with Sept/Oct. I only went once to LC in Dec. When we arrived no boats had been out for days. The air temp with a stiff breeze had a chill to it. Our boat went out the next day, but only to Jackson Bight and then is heavy seas. The seas were so heavy that our mooring line snapped mid dive. Collecting the divers in heavy seas adrift was a challenge. Once on the boat, with the cool stiff wind it was a bit chilly. We had hats and dry pullovers, but still. I would not do Dec LC again but that is also based on this one experience.

We went last Oct 12-19 and had fabulous weather and fabulous diving the entire week.

We went last Oct 12-19 and had fabulous weather and fabulous diving the entire week.

Another vote for October. My last trip there was during October and there were several days where the ocean was slick. It's a great time to go.

Once you decide don't delay in booking your airfare on Cayman Air. Only the twin otters fly there from GC and they hold like 16 people. If you are going to fly a week day no big deal but if you are going on a Saturday or Sunday, book as soon as you can. There are limited flights and since October is a slow time, they are limited even more. I can't emphasize this enough.

I have made numerous trips in October, November and December, along with just about every other month. I assume you are speaking of LCBR.

The closer you get to New Years, the more likely you will have cooler water temps and north winds. The winds stir up the sand/hand pan and vis is not as good that time of year.

Honestly, how many people/trips have you heard were blown out by a Hurricane on Little Cayman? The last Hurricane that came close was Paloma in NOVEMBER 2008. Sure, some tropical storms (Mathew a few years ago) have blown by, but that only lasts a day or two at most. So I think the fear of September and October being in hurricane season is overblown. That is what they make insurance for.

Over the last several years, once the fronts start coming through Florida in October or early November, they seem to keep the winds blowing on Little Cayman and you get blown out of the north side quite frequently. The barge does not make it over frequently in the late October to February, early March time period.

If it were me, I would go in September. Water is warmer, more likely to have south winds and vis is better. Island is much quieter.

I agree. We have been many different seasons but this year we went early September and had glorious Bloody Bay Diving for 5 days out of 6.
Have never been there in October, but November, December tend to be colder and windy. There is always a leeward side but diving the south does not compare to the walls on the north of the island.

Back
Top Bottom