Fall check out dive locations in Mid-Atlantic??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paul3mac

New
Reaction score
Hello All-
I've been reading this board for the last few weeks, but this is my first post. My wife and I just completed the classroom/pool segment of the Open Water certification. We're now ready to do our checkout dives, but our instructor, as of last weekend, has stopped making trips to a local quarry to do the checkout dives because it is getting too cold.

My question... does anyone know of anywhere in the general Mid-Atlantic area (say 6 hr or less drive from Baltimore) where there is a hot spring or some other phenomenon which keeps the water warmer a little longer and/or check out dives are offered in November? I've read about Mt. Storm lake in WV and that seems like a possibility. Or would it be better to just wait until Spring when it warms back up a bit around here, or head south to Florida or Caribbean to do the check out dives (which obviously would be ideal, but would like to save the money).

Hi Paul,
No hot springs here, but we have OW certification this weekend
if you are interested in joining us. We will be doing our certs at
Guppy Gulch Quarry which is in Delta, PA about an hour north of
Baltimore. PM me if you are interested. Our very last one of the
year will be mid November.

Let's see: cold water checkout dives in a quarry OR warm water checkout dives in Cozumel. Tough choice...

Richard

Undersea Outfitters (410-517-4999) is doing check-out dives the weekend of Nov. 15th at Hydes quarry in Westminster. I'm sure Guppy would be nicer, and Coz would be waaaaay better- just throwing it out as a possibility.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom