Familiar with these condos? Any others to consider?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're planning to be on the Big Island the last week of July or first week of August. I'm looking for a one or two bedroom condo in the Kona area. After lots of time online, based on what I've seen, this is my short list of what I think looks good. Has anyone stayed at any of these places or heard about them from anyone who has?

Kona White Sands Triplex (3 units, a block off Ali)
Royal Seacliff
Kona Reef
Shores at Waikoloa

A unit at Kalanikai Condo looked nice, but I have no idea where it is or what the complex is like.

Thanks!

Shores at Waikoloa is a good bit further north (Kohala coast not Kona) from the others you mention which are around the town of Kailua-Kona. A few years ago I stayed in both places - a hotel in Kailua-Kona that was right by the pier lots of dive boats left from, followed by a condo in Waikoloa (Bay Club.)

Kailua-Kona is a real town with tourist stuff, Waikoloa is a resort area (very nice like all the resort areas along the Kohala Coast.) Very different places to stay so it depends what you want. We stayed in Kailua-Kona specifically because it was convienient to dive from there with many and better operators to choose from. We didn't try diving based out of Waikoloa, partly because we met up with family there but also the diving options/convienience didn't seem to be there, not many choices and they seemed more "resorty." We drove back down to Kailua one morning to dive but I don't think I'd want to do it every morning (they leave early!)

We saw a few units at White Sands Village at the end of July 2003 -- some of our wedding guests chose to stay there. One unit was particularly nice and a good deal for the money. You can PM me if you'd like contact info for the owners. (all units are 2 bedroom 2 bathroom and the complex is directly across from White Sands Beach). Cheers!

The Kohala coast is the best dive area IMHO. Red Sail out of Waikoloa resort, and Mauna Kea Divers out of Kawaihi ( you would think I could spell that since I work there) Avoid Kohala Divers, overpriced scammers.

Have stayed in a studio at Royal Seacliff, which was nice. Loved the washer/dryer in unit. 2 pools, one salt, one fresh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom