Family sues over Florida Keys dive death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have full insurance on the boat PLUS all divers sign my waiver, which is left at home before leaving the dock. Simply copy a commercial divers waiver and re-write with your name.

Should probably have it notorized -

PYA :lifesaver: :lifesaver: :lifesaver: :lifesaver: :lifesaver:

Let's not lose sight of the big picture.

The big picture is that lawyers are greedy bastards who are ruining everything for everyone.
Everyone deserves their day in court and lawyer who will serve his/her client the best possible. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best.

Everyone deserves their day in court and lawyer who will serve his/her client the best possible. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best.

Why does everyone deserve a day in court? I personally think that the courts should do a better job of weening out the bull**** cases. All it does is cost the people money for nothing. I do however agree that everybody deserves to have the best representation they can have but that sadly means the best is only available to those with a ton of money.

Why does everyone deserve a day in court? I personally think that the courts should do a better job of weening out the bull**** cases. All it does is cost the people money for nothing. I do however agree that everybody deserves to have the best representation they can have but that sadly means the best is only available to those with a ton of money.
I can't speak for your country, but it's part of America - frivolous suits aside.

But it is the frivolous suits that you cannot put aside if everybody deserves their day in court. I am likely getting caught up on as literal meaning versus intended meaning but the frivolous suits that make it through to the courts just astounds me......and obviously annoys me :D. I simply do not believe "everybody deserves their day in court" because that statement allows for the BS frivolous suits.

Sorry for the sidetrack on this thread. I'll stop :wink:

Let's not lose sight of the big picture.

The big picture is that lawyers are greedy bastards who are ruining everything for everyone.

You seem confused, let me help you out: it's not the lawyers who are awarding plaintiffs stupidly high damages after finding liability where none should exist. It's the mouthbreathers in the jury box.

You seem confused, let me help you out: it's not the lawyers who are awarding plaintiffs stupidly high damages after finding liability where none should exist. It's the mouthbreathers in the jury box.

Yea but the jury is not calling you after an accident asking if you want to file a lawsuit! And most lawyers really don't want to go to a jury trial because the stupidly high damages will almost always be appealed until it either gets over turned or settled. An out of court settlement means they will get paid.

The notion that the Anerican justice system is 'the best' is very far out of alignment with reality. Both our criminal and civil legal structures are not simply imperfect; they are fatally flawed. Like so much in this nation, our legal system floats on a sea of money and corruption. Outside of dictatorial systems and third world nations American justice is among the world's worst. Justice in America is more than just blind. It was accurately noted almost a century ago that the figure of Justice in front of courthouses wears a blindfold not because of any impartiality, but to conceal the maggots in her skull. Just about any advanced nation you can think of has a better system of justice than we do. It's not unpatriotic to point out the kind of idiocy that allows tort litigation in virtually any unfortunate circumstance. It is harmful to this country to permit this kind of thing, while pious lawyers bleat about protecting the interests of those harmed as they bank their customary 40%.

There are primitive societies that regard every death, every accident, as the result of witchcraft. When someones's cow dies these benighted communities attempt to determine who cast the evil spell and punish them. We are not very far advanced beyond that sorry condition. Look at the data regarding damages awarded for frivolous suits. You may have a difficult time finding them, because the legal profession dominates legislatures and protects its interests with great zeal. You might be surprised to discover that such damages are awarded most often when someone sues an agency of government. Our legal system stinks to high heaven, and only those living in a dark militant delusional ignorance could possibly assert otherwise - unless they are part of that system.

I write and I mean all this in a nice way.

Back
Top Bottom