Fantastic Conditions on Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidsdream

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I ran up to Port Sanilac again on Saturday for a 2-tank trip with Rec & Tec charters. There were only 5 divers on a 36' boat with 14' beam. Not great for owner/operator Captain Gary, but perfect for us divers.

With calm winds, the water was flatter than I have ever seen it on Lake Huron - the proverbial glass surface conditions.

First dive was the wreck of the New York at about 112' to the bottom. What makes this ship so interesting is that while it is a bit broken up, it has a giant wooden arch (just of over a third is still standing) structure that is over the deck level. In the last years before ships were to be made of steel or iron, a design similar to a suspension bridge was used to strengthen the backbone or keel of the largest wooden freighters being built. So the arches, (like a reverse keel) rose above the deck and were connected to the actual keel to counteract the bending stress of the massive ships during tough conditions.

Bottom time was around 14 minutes with an overall dive time of 27 minutes. There was a huge thermocline just before you hit 60'.

The next dive was the North Star, the same ship I reported on in May. This time with great vis. (for Lake Huron). I actually saw the wreck with its two huge boilers lying in the sand at 92' and the main structure of the engine sitting at least 20' off the bottom. I was guiding a new diver in wetsuit - I am sure he is still cold. We went into the broken up hold and then worked are way back to the stern. At 300' long we never came close to seeing the bow.

Total dive time of 35 minutes. It was much warmer than May, but I have not looked at my computer to see the detailed temps.

A great day on the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom