Fantasy Island, Roatan Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zeppelindiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
There have been several threads in this forum & the travel forums asking about the status of Fantasy Island Dive Resort on Roatan, so I thought it would be best to post one new message rather than a bunch of responses. It appears that the reports of Fantasy Island's demise were premature.

They completed the repairs on the bridge to the island and almost all of the renovations & reopened on November 1st. They have renovated the rooms, bar & restaurant, lobby, refreshed the dive shop & upgraded portions of the marina. Unofficially we are being told that about $900,000 has been spent so far on the renos with more to come. The comments being made are that the resort is in the best condition it has been in the past 10 years. I have asked them to give me some pictures of the renos to post so we can all see the improvements.

There are a few guests at the resort right now & their first large group arrives on Nov 7th, about 250 guests of which 140 are divers so they are clearly not out of business!

In case anyone is wondering, I do not have any connection with Fantasy Island, I am simply trying to keep everyone informed about dive industry happenings on Roatan.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Wayne for the report. We have been wondering how things were going at Fantasy Island. I am happy to hear of the improvements...perfect timing! We wish them all the best :D

They have an ideal location, a great shore dive, and have had an outstanding dive staff.

Consistency over the long haul will be the key and must be their goal.

Great news, thanks. Been there a few times, always liked it in spite of shortcomings, and was hoping it could be saved. I hope they overhauled the old boats instead of replacing them - so much character.

DD, as far as I know, they have two new boats and still maintain the old boats as well. I'm sure you could request to be assigned to whichever you liked :D

DD, as far as I know, they have two new boats and still maintain the old boats as well. I'm sure you could request to be assigned to whichever you liked :D
I just liked those barges for some reason. :idk:

I just liked those barges for some reason. :idk:

The hulls are perfect for the local sea conditions and proximity of dive sites.

It's something about the wooden overheads, an African Queen feel perhaps? I like some home comforts and take a lot with me, but I still like feeling like I've gone someplace different than usual. I may not make sense on this, ever...?

Oh well, they are roomy.

I hope we'll be seeing some firsthand reports soon. I have been to FI 4 times and was a fan. Hopefully they'll get back to what they once were.

For those boat fans, currently they are running 3 of the new style large boats and 1 of the old style wooden boats. They are in the process of refitting 2 more of the old boats right now so if they have the volume of divers they will be running 3 of each. FWIW, I like the old boats better too, smaller groups, more comfortable sea motion, and wooden boats are cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom