Farting in your wetsuit - Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GQMedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In response to an idea another diver posted on the peeing in your wetsuit. Alas, farting in the wetsuit and buoyancy issues. Here's the poll! *evil grin* You should have KNOWN better than to throw that idea out there! Especially after my smoking posts! *chuckle*

I'm not too sure about a wetsuit...but I have heard of a troublesome condition while diving dry. I, myself, have had no personal experience in this matter, but I can give you details on the condition.

It only occurs when you are using an Argon (Ar) mixture hooked up to your drysuit. The Argon mixes with the Methane (A combination of Hydrogen and Carbon - CH4) forming the compound ArCH (pronounced "Arch"). This is also used to describe the shape of your body and buoyancy after the gas release, which changes into the form of an arch due to your Halcyon Gator Wraps blocking flow to your legs and your BP/Wing harness blocking flow to your upper body. This can be disasterous if your drysuit is not properly configured, or you are not properly trained to deal with such a disaster.

Utimately, it can result in you becoming trapped at the top of a cave or wreck, or in a out-of-control rocket ascent, with no control over your buoyancy. This is extremely unsafe. If you are able to vent the ArCH mixture from your drysuit, you should not come into direct contact with it, as it is toxic. If you are in open water, make sure to deploy a lift bag marked with a large "F" for flatulence, so the boat crew or others on the surface do not come into contact with ArCH.

Someone with a broder understanding of this chemical mixture might be able to help you more with regards to its adverse effects. I hope this helps to avoid any catastrophes.

:warhammer

Dr. Jay, YOU ROCK! That was GREAT! OMG! I am in tears here!

-Dennis

Back
Top Bottom