Fast Surface / Shallow Free Dive Fins - Whale, etc Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TightLines

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for recommendations on a fast set of fins that are efficient on top of the water.

Have loads of use on some Mares Avanti Quattro open heel fins both under water and on the surface. Love them underwater but hate them at the surface. Far too stiff to be able to propel myself especially when bogged down with housing and big dome.

Have some upcoming whale/dolphin trips and am looking for something that is fast and efficient on top of the water but that can do a decent job of some shallow (less than 30') free diving.

Being able to back up, helicopter kick, and frog kick are not important.

Speed and efficiency are what I'm after.

I'm 165 and in fairly good shape for what that's worth.

Any help is appreciated.

Tried Cressi Garras? Although I suspect you may find the same issue on the surface.

Looking for recommendations on a fast set of fins that are efficient on top of the water.

Have loads of use on some Mares Avanti Quattro open heel fins both under water and on the surface. Love them underwater but hate them at the surface. Far too stiff to be able to propel myself especially when bogged down with housing and big dome.

Have some upcoming whale/dolphin trips and am looking for something that is fast and efficient on top of the water but that can do a decent job of some shallow (less than 30') free diving.

Being able to back up, helicopter kick, and frog kick are not important.

Speed and efficiency are what I'm after.

I'm 165 and in fairly good shape for what that's worth.

Any help is appreciated.

Take a look at our new Carbon Fiber Freedive fins. At 165 lbs, you will want to select the soft option. Most people choose to wear a neoprene sock when using a full foot fin. These fins are light weight, very responsive and the carbon fiber provides excellent snap back when kicking - meaning they are a high performance blade.

We also have less expensive blade options available.

Thanks

dano

https://www.makospearguns.com/Carbon-Elite-Freedive-Fins-p/mceff.htm

MCEFF-2T.jpg

Is the issue with your current fins on the surface that they come out of the water on the back kick and generating no thrust? If so, you could try turning your body in the water a bit so you are kicking at an angle. Then the fins stay underwater for the full kick. Search for combat sidestroke with fins videos for a better explanation. They use a flutter kick with fins and a scissor kick without.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom