Fastest Hard Drive To Edit 4k

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have the source on one hard drive. (Read)

Save the modified file on the other hard drive. (Write)

Avoid read and write on the same drive.

Depends on the laptop. Since you mention Thunderbolt, I'm guessing Mac? Depending on the model your internal SSD may be direct on the PCI bus instead of going through a traditional SAS/SATA style interface.

Easiest thing to do is to actually do some benchmarks. This article is rather dated, but a good place to start.

How-To: Benchmark your Mac with these three free downloads

Use one of those tools, or a more recent version to determine the actual read and write speeds.

Some (consumer) SSDs are no faster than high end enterprise 15K RPM SAS drives, once you factor in the entire data path.

Could be worse. At work we're setting up to do 4K, 120fps, HDR editing and the system is going to run over $1M for the storage, networking, etc. It's the HDR that kills ya.

Some (consumer) SSDs are no faster than high end enterprise 15K RPM SAS drives, once you factor in the entire data path.

Could be worse. At work we're setting up to do 4K, 120fps, HDR editing and the system is going to run over $1M for the storage, networking, etc. It's the HDR that kills ya.

ooo ooo! i can relate to this! dayjob is a TD at a PC hardware review site. we were looking to move to the BM ATEM series for broadcast duty, but that price tag and infrastructure requirements quashed that dream right quick.

most modern 3D NAND SSDs in both SATA and NVMe/M.2 are considerably faster than even 15k RPM SAS drives by orders of magnitude for mixed read/write random IO. top tier consumer drives are now pushing >330,000 IOPS at QD32, and still crank out >10,000 IOPS at QD1; meanwhile, the fastest 15k rpm spinning rust will struggle to maintain > 250 IOPS at any QDs (yes '250', not '250,000'). there were a few bad apples along the way (the m300's write stutter and X-25m GC cycles come to mind), but most of those lingering issues have been resolved with firmware updates.

we're doing 4k 30fps non HDR in h264 with 6 to10 channels in premiere and barely hit 2% utilization on our scratch intel 750 pci-e card. bottleneck by far, even with a 40 thread xeon behemoth ( dual socket 10 core hyperthreaded ), is encoding overhead and GPU offload. switching from an old K5200 quadtro to a new 5000 series quadtro cut our post workflow times by 30~50%, encoding to h.264 4k 20mbit is close to 60fps. even our switcher machine can stream 6x 1080p30 to a cheap corsair consumer SSD drive without breaking a sweat on the IO load.

unless its sporting a really cheap internal SSD with a broken controller on SATA (which honestly could be the case), i cant see a laptop with an SSD being bottlenecked on IO rather than compute/GPU. need more details on the laptop and drive part numbers to make a fully educated guess on that though.

Last edited:
Have the source on one hard drive. (Read)

Save the modified file on the other hard drive. (Write)

Avoid read and write on the same drive.

That might be the most useful suggestion no matter the speed of the drive no? There is also temp files no, and where might i allocate then too?

Depends on the program.

Properly operating modern (3D NAND) SSDs do not take a performance hit when you're mixing random reads and writes that you would get with a traditional rotational drive. you actually have to push a queue depth higher than 8 or so (which will NEVER happen to 99.9% of consumers out there) to get most drives to hit their peak read/write speeds and IOPS. for the most part, the harder you run em, the faster they go. most any SSD currently on the market will be able to handle shuttling compressed 4K video back and forth without breaking a sweat.

My laptop is ASUS G75VX-DH72 Specs as you see the 500gb drive is a 5400rpm Hitachi drive but i am planing on cloning the drive to a 850 EVO Western Digital 500GB SSD Serial ATA-300.

the Samsung 850 EVO is close to the top tier drive on SATA. I would not hesitate to use one in a build, and i've recommended them completely on multiple occasions. Samsung really hit their stride in the 8 and 9 series 3D NAND parts.

By WD SSD, i presume you're talking about the WD Blue SSD, which is a re-badged Sandisk. slightly cheaper, slightly slower, still a fine part.

both are plenty fast enough to keep that I7-3630QM fed with 4k h.264/h.265, and you're going to be completely compute limited on either drive.

have you considered just swapping out the 500gb spinning rust hard drive for a 500gb or 1TB SSD dedicated to video storage and editing, and retaining the existing 256GB SSD for hosting the OS and everything else?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom