fat and need a new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Appearantly in some places in the world obisitas is already accepted and no single obstruction towards (extreme) sports.

Well, a lot of people are offended by a merely true statement about overweighted divers.

I'm sorry to all the overweighted people here if I insulted you. You're right I will mind my own business, go diving, hell, go tech diving, do what ever you feel like.

Being overweighted makes you prone numerous of health related issues, especially in (extreme) sports but hey,who am I to point this out to people who don't know or apparently just don't care..

Last edited:
"I have the body of a god. OK its Buddha, but it is still a god."

Buddha was neither fat, nor a god. Sorry for the unrelated post :)

Your size is a little outside of our recommended range, but in general, we find it more important to match the manufacturers weight range than height.

Being short for your weight also tends to be less of a concern than the opposite (tall and skinny). Wearing a wetsuit that has sleeves and legs that are a little long is not much of an issue, certainly better than having 2 inches of your wrists exposed or wearing a suit that is baggy everywhere.

Good luck with your search - wish I had a MAKO suit I could recommend. Don't let negative comments get in your way of pursuing an active lifestyle.

Last edited:
not sure how I got to be a tech diver. I am not . usually stay above 100'. do dive the quarries in pa and Ohio year around as long as there is no ice, quit that when I
got a wife and kids. make couple trips a year to Florida and the Caribbean. Just enjoy diving going slow and seeing the sights. Yes I am fat but I can take the criticism
my skin is thick. thanks for all the responses

not sure how I got to be a tech diver. I am not . usually stay above 100'. do dive the quarries in pa and Ohio year around as long as there is no ice, quit that when I
got a wife and kids. make couple trips a year to Florida and the Caribbean. Just enjoy diving going slow and seeing the sights. Yes I am fat but I can take the criticism
my skin is thick. thanks for all the responses

Don't get me wrong, I've got all the respect for everyone willing to come outside and be active and do whatever you like. The tech comment wasn't meant for you, it was meant for another poster in this thread.

It wasn't meant to discourage you from diving, it was more meant as a wake up call since a lot of people underestimate diving, as you've clearly seen in this thread already. Being overweight makes you more prone to get bent for example.
Just be careful, enjoy diving but keep in mind that even recreational diving can go south very bad very quick. For example the NDL is a lot tighter for out of shape people then others. People have been known to get bent even while staying in their NDL as their computers calculated.

If there's anything you want to extract from my comments let it be work on your physic, not just for diving but for your overall quality of life.

** Some people might feel like I was rude. For me it was merely stating facts in a little bit of confronting way. Being from The Netherlands we are direct straight up people, we don't sugarcoat the truth. Some other thing I just realized today is that obesitas is way way more accepted and seen as normal in the US than in Europe/The Netherlands and I realized when you critize something that's fully accepted in a country where the majority of the population is overweight you've to be very careful how you say something because in this case Americans aren't really just anymore to this kind of criticism since obesitas is full on accepted I guess.

If I'm wrong about this conception feel free to let me know. **

I'm 5'10", ~250lb
and after renting and loving an XL Bare Velocity 7mm, I ordered one for myself from LeisurePro for sale price of $250. Love, love, love it.

A week later they went further on sale to $125ea! grrrr. win some, lose some.

"I had a suit that magically shrunk"
And I have objective proof that that is real. And confirmation of that from Rubatex, who make expensive nitrogen-blown neoprenes. When I got my second wetsuit, I measured and marked a 36" line down the spine. Five years later, it was only 34" long, measured on the same yardstick. Objective proof.

Rubatex generously sent me square-foot samples of different materials and explained that neoprene can be "foamed" like pancake batter, by adding chemicals that blow gas bubbles as it is baked. Just like bread dough. Or, it can be foamed by injecting nitrogen gas under pressure, then pouring the "batter" into a mold and taking the pressure off. So it expands like soda when the bottle cap is removed.

If the neoprene is made with chemicals, cheap chemicals can "burn" the rubber as it ages, allowing the structure to break down and shrink. There's a Japanese company now that claims they've got an even better process than the Rubatex G231 type (nitrogen blown) and really, if you're having a custom suit made there are some places what are not unreasonable, and not a lot extra to use the GOOD neoprene, which won't shrink. I've seen G231 go 15 years without shrinking.

@Rred How stretchy is the G231 compared to the mainstream off-the-rack wetsuits?

Also, I've seen some posts here on SB recently where people talked about having bought custom wetsuits from Wetwear, made of the nitrogen compressed neoprene (I think is the term WW uses), that were supposed to be warmer than the same thickness of a mainstream wetsuit, yet the posters were saying that the suits were not any warmer. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom