Fatality in the Vandenberg Wreck, Key West Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This Thread has been cleaned up a little bit. We suggest that all posting members return to discussing only the Vandenberg incident or there will be more clean up. Thank you.

It is true that anyone can file a lawsuit, if they can complete a piece of paper and pay the filing fee. Then the defendant files a motion to dismiss for failure to state a cause of action, or a motion for summary judgment, and ideally the complaint gets dismissed. Because there ought to be, and is to some extent, a method for weeding out bogus litigation well short of trial. Depending on where you are, the loser may have to pay attorney fees, which can be a learning experience for them.

From England:
1009-1009.jpg

And for the record, with regard to the ethical issue at hand, I'm on the side of people who try to help other people instead of shrugging and saying "not my problem." Getting behind an out of it diver and hauling them up a ways isn't a bad idea, if it's possible. Learned something like that in rescue diver (although that was for on the surface).

Depending on where you are, the loser may have to pay attorney fees, which can be a learning experience for them.
The loser rarely has to pay this. Tort reform could make that more of a possibility. We need tort reform.

Looks like we're drifting away from the Vandenburg topic, or it could be me.

Looks like we're drifting away from the Vandenburg topic, or it could be me.

The usual Scubaboard thread drift as far as I can tell, it will either drift back to the Vandenberg or fade away.

Bob

This does not state the diver in the wreck even saw his buddy trying to thumb the dive yet people are saying he ignored his buddy

Yeah honestly I've struggled to get a buddy's attention just to show them something worth photographing, and I'm sure frustrated buddies have tried to get MY attention plenty of times and failed. The idea that a buddy WILL save you must have lulled a lot of people to their deaths :( Take a buddy if you can, but never RELY on one because that's like not wearing a seatbelt because you have an airbag. It may not go off.

Yeah honestly I've struggled to get a buddy's attention just to show them something worth photographing, and I'm sure frustrated buddies have tried to get MY attention plenty of times and failed. The idea that a buddy WILL save you must have lulled a lot of people to their deaths :( Take a buddy if you can, but never RELY on one because that's like not wearing a seatbelt because you have an airbag. It may not go off.
My wife and I use Dive Alert Plus. They work pretty well unless you're wearing a fairly thick hood and then your buddy can't hear it from even 3 feet away.

I pull usually my buddy’s fin if I really need to get their attention now, that works only if he is close by though.

Back
Top Bottom