Fatality on Rosalie Moller wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on the description of the incident and her fear of not being able to hold a stop and hence over-weighting, I'm guessing that she thought she needed the ballast weight to avoid an uncontrolled ascent. Therefore, when it dropped, she went chasing after it fearing that she would rocket to the surface without it.

It wasn't necessarily due to the cost of the gear or the fact that it wasn't hers, but we'll never know for sure.

- brett

Point taken but as this was a boat dive she could ascend the shot line. Easy thing to forget it's there though and also maybe not where she was ascending. I actually overweight myself a little as I have had to pull divers to the 5m stop as they are underweighted for the end of the dive. Sometimes I bring an extra kilo and change it from one bcd pocket to another to adjust trim as I may face a wall being horizontal but swim one shoulder down on up at the same time.

I just looked through quite some documentation, but couldn't find it that quickly (when I do, I'll update this). I use that graph in my own course materials.
It origins from study by Gavin/Mitchell where the end-tidal CO2 levels were measured in CCR diving. The Work-Of-Breathing is slightly higher on closed-circuit than open-circuit, but the physiology of the lungs and trachea doesn't change.

Our body has evolved to effectively breathe at 1 atmosphere. The gasdensity is about 1.23 grams per liter at sea level in 15°C.
Once you descend, pressure increases and so does the gas density. And with increased pressure our physiology doesn't work flawless anymore. It becomes harder to breathe out, since the air is much denser. You're not breathing out as effective as on the surface. Because there's more residual CO2 in your lungs, the blood can off-gas less CO2 to the lungs.

On the surface, your brain stem would immediately send a signal to your lungs to breathe faster. Under pressure, that mechanism doesn't work at 100%. The urge to breathe faster is diminished and the CO2 levels keep rising.
It gets really problematic when the gas density exceeds 5.8 g/l (at 40m/130ft the air density is almost 6 g/l !!)

Anything that turns oxygen into carbondioxide adds to a CO2 hit. Your brain is the biggest oxygen consumer.
Add some excess muscle movements to this, like chasing a weightpocket down to 55m, grabbing it and then trying to ascend with strong fin kicks, and the requirements for a brain-shutdown have been met.
You simply fall asleep like a switch turns off the light.

Some information regarding the negative effects of increasing gas density at 35 to 45 m has been circulated to BSAC clubs diving officers. I have not read it myself, and only observed a "teams" discussion on it. It seems the negative effects are often underestimated especially for inexperienced [don't frequently dive at that depth] divers, but even experienced divers should pay more attention to reducing density of their gas mixture.

Regarding the fatality, my guess is she just ran out of air due to exertion, panicked, got confused and failed to ditch her weights. An instructor I know (who often get criticized for this opinion he holds) tells his students one of the most important things to do when things start to go badly wrong is to get to the surface, ditch the weights ASAP and just get to the surface, forget DCI, forget controlled ascent, just ditch the weights and head for air. His reasoning being if you stay down you are going to die, if you get to air you may die, but you have a far greater chance of being treatable.

S An instructor I know (who often get criticized for this opinion he holds) tells his students one of the most important things to do when things start to go badly wrong is to get to the surface, ditch the weights ASAP and just get to the surface, forget DCI, forget controlled ascent, just ditch the weights and head for air. His reasoning being if you stay down you are going to die, if you get to air you may die, but you have a far greater chance of being treatable.

Very true!! Specially in recreational divers with not so much experience, I see a too big focus on no deco limit (NDL) and deco, instead of gas supply. I've literally seen a recreational diver almost run out of gas because her computer was not counting down a couple of minutes of deco. (SUUNTO's tend to do this, if you are not very close to your deco ceiling they won't count down your deco time very efficiently). She was going to drown because she didn't want to skip 5 in of "deco".

I've introduced this very important bit of knowledge in all my recreational courses. IN RECREATIONAL DIVING THE CHANCES TO DIE FROM DECO RELATED ISSUES ARE MINIMAL. THE CHANCE OF DYING FROM LACK OF AIR IS 100%. YOUR PRIORITY SHOULD ALWAYS BE AIR/GAS, and BUOYANCY.

For Technical diving this of course is not ideal. Here the rules for ceiling diving (real ceiling as in cave, wreck but also virtual ceiling as deco) are of course different, and you want to try to solve all issues underwater.

Back
Top Bottom